Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

MrSalieri
Contributor
Contributor

1. If you want to login you have to use the phone number, but if that number isn't valid you have to login and change it. :))))))))))

2. If you want to contact paypal you have to login... :)))))))))))))

3. But you can't login because u can't receive that verification code, so you need to login and change you phone number, but you can't, so get back to number one :)))))))))))

So the only thing you can do is to make another account, and at least write here in the community, where nobody read your message and if you're lucky you will receive an useless copy paste message.

Login to Me Too

Silvana76
Contributor
Contributor
The Best I think is if I find a way to login, I just get rid of PayPal Account.
Login to Me Too

MrSalieri
Contributor
Contributor
Maybe I was lucky but after changing password about 10 times PayPal let me login. First things I did, I withdraw my money on credit card, then I changed the phone number and I could even add a Romanian phone, even if the account was made in Italy. So the solution I can give you guys is to change the password many times, not in the same day, and use different passwords.
Login to Me Too

xBGBRx
Contributor
Contributor

Dear community, would you please so kind to help me how can I login to my account if my account linked to my old phone number?

I enter my user name, my password, on the next screen the system ask further confirmation, both options linked to my old phone number, sms-or call, I am not able to send email, or contact with the helpdesk, when I tried they requested also to login which is impossible. I tried to contact with the fb paypal account, but I also failed, no personal helpdesk, only a robot, which was not able to help me. 

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

wigan_number_1
Contributor
Contributor

PAYPAL are not interested! FULL STOP. They have just shut me down on eBay. I cannot access MY money and after jumping through all the hoops for 5 days, this useless site will still not recognise me. Bloody Useless.

Login to Me Too

antiqueseller89
Contributor
Contributor

If you can't log in because of an outdated phone number, change your password several times. With luck, it will take you directly to your profile after a couple of password changes. There you can change your phone number.

I swear I had already changed my number months prior to this, yet it still gave me my old number in the security check, and naturally I couldn't log in.
I'm going to message Paypal about this until they fix it, even though I resolved my own issue. It ticks me off that something like this is allowed to happen.

Paypal needs to up their game.

Login to Me Too

Toni8919
I’m having to have a text sent to my phone literally every time I log on. If I log on 5 times a day, that’s 5 texts I have to have sent. Why? Stop it.
Login to Me Too

Rango0484
Contributor
Contributor

And if you put in your phone number wrong, you cant log in. Cos there is no help canter that can really help you, or customer service. You are being tossed around in circles and in the end it requires a log in from you.

Its unbelievable !?

Login to Me Too

MissConStru

I'm slowly going insane! It's this extra level of authentication that PayPal has installed. It seems it REQUIRES one to have a mobile (cell) phone! I have a mobile but it's very old and doesn't take texts (yes, that old!) I refuse to get a new one and the only number that PP has is my landline. This new system gives my landline number but nobody ever uses it.

PP authentication.JPG

So I started phoning the help line. In all, I've phoned them 5 times and the first 4, the advisor assured me that 'someone' from technical would ring me but nobody ever did. I rang them just now, about an hour ago and this customer service lady was much more helpful. She told me they had a 'pile' of complaints about this. But it this be so, why are the technical department not doing anything about it?!!! It's just crazy. One person I spoke to actually told me my only solution was to get a mobile phone! Why should I buy a new phone and learn to use it just to access my PP account!

Happily, my account balance is at zero just now but that's beside the point. I've been a member of PP for years and years and am outraged that the company should shrug me off like this. When they thought up this idea, somebody somewhere must have known that this protocol wouldn't suit everybody but they built no alternative method into the system!

FYI, I am now 80. I have been very computer literate in my time. I've set up forums and websites and been able to trouble shoot on my various computers since 1998 but retired from it all about 5 years ago. The old saying "use it or lose it" is very true as I've now lost about 85% of my computer skills and knowledge which is why I am unwilling to get a mobile phone. Why don't PP take this into account? Why don't they value their old, long standing customers like me?

I am so disgusted. I feel like I'm considered a dinosaur and have a label on my account saying "this person is non-compliant. Do not engage with her"!

PLEASE PAYPAL, DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

Proshilja86
Did you resolve yor problem about old phone number?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.