Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

per66
Contributor
Contributor

I've been struggling with this issue for a while and even help center told me to close my account, which kinda impossible for me to do that unless I'm login in. also I have a bank linked to my account so I can't use the bank again for another account there's a limit to that! please help me know how you pass this and changed your phone. thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too

frugleflu
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday I changed my password and it took me back to the log in PSD2 page with my old defunkt mobile number, after checking on here again today, I decided to try it again and change my password and it worked after clearing my cache and cookies, i was able to edit the phone number albeit saying 'Mobile' and i have enetered in my landline.. I'm hoping this works.

Paypal: My mobile phone contract came to an end and due to fighting Cancer, I have decided it isn't worth having another, besides, i live in the country with fairly poor coverage, I do sincerely hope you are not going to penalise people for not having a mobile phone and also because they are sick or disabled..

Login to Me Too

Sten750

Really can't thank you enough for this!

Login to Me Too

ANGELIK1
Contributor
Contributor

I did it!! It didn't work for me as you described!!

Login to Me Too

bratfordlad
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I have two paypal accounts, one I've had for 8/9 years used for savings and some payments. Now every log in attempt comes up with the PSD2 screen showing my old number and I neglected to update it I cannot gain access to any services whatsoever. Is there some way of contacting PayPal? I am desperate, please help!

Chris

Login to Me Too

slacker99
New Community Member

I live in the UK and access my bank, sainsburys, tesco, ebay and other shops online, yet NOBODY else has switched to this system.

If you wanted to find a way to lose customers then this is it.  I'm not going through this whenever I want to buy something on ebay for ₤3.  It's ridiculous.

Login to Me Too

OldSalt2
Contributor
Contributor

For some months PayPal have been pestering me for a mobile number and giving every indication that it would soon be essential for PSD2 authentication and I was beginning to believe I would very soon not be able to use my PayPal account as I do not have a smartphone. That would lock me out of buying from suppliers who only accept PayPal.  Today, for the first time in many years of use, PayPal did require authentication of a payment but they did it via my landline phone by giving me a one-time number to key into my phone when they rang me. Very easy and if they continue with that system a glimmer of hope for those like me who do not use smartphones. Let's hope they continue with this system although it is unlikely to help all those respondents who gave PayPal a mobile number that they now find they cannot change!

Login to Me Too

Silvana76
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, I want to know what can I do to be able to login to my account, as it keeps coming up my old landline phone number. And I can't change it as I can't login.
Login to Me Too

Nasko007
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, same problem, yesterday 23.10 I contacted the live chat and send email form separately . They asked me for the new phone number, but handed it over to management. I can't say when there will be a result or not.

Login to Me Too

Eei2
Contributor
Contributor

So, are you gonna let me log in then? I have a business account with a debit card.

I've just changed the phone number today and you locked me out. Are you that stupid? How comes I don't have any other option to confirm identity.

Also, there's no mobile reception at my work anyway. Bunch of clowns.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.