Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

I'm another victim of inactive phone number and PSD2 compliance. Seriously, does anybody at PayPal even bother to check what they do?

There should be already a proper solution in 'Common Questions' or an option allowing to change it by myself while calling help line.

But there is NONE! And the most hilarious fact is you require your customer to log in to get any help or even register Twitter or FB account.

I'm PayPal customer not Twitter's nor Facebook's and I don't want 3rd party to involve.

tl;dr; Do something about it already, would you?

Login to Me Too

EwanBrown967
Contributor
Contributor

The link below will take you to a page with a contact number.  The automated system will try to help you by if you just say "Close Account" you will be directed to an operator and they will reset your phone number for you.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/contact-us 

Login to Me Too

cazza62
Contributor
Contributor

The number on my account is an old one so have no access to it  Have tried customer services and that is a joke automated voice says 'can't help log into your account' which I can't do as the number is incorrect.  As I use Paypal daily this is really affecting me

Login to Me Too

ambrougham
Contributor
Contributor

I also do not use a mobile due to total lack of usable service where I spend the vast majority of my time so I agree with all previous comments stating that SMS now being mandatory in order to use Paypal is a complete nonsense.

My (very limited and uneducated !) understanding is that the Directive and/or UK Legislation specifically addresses the problem of customers with no phone access by requiring that an alternative solution must also be provided. Anyone know for sure and, more to the point, know how to raise this Paypal stupidity and apparent non-compliance with the appropriate regulatory body ? Companies various just assuming "everyone has a mobile in use 24/7" and making these kind of changes need to be seriously challenged and forced to stop knowingly preventing some customers from accessing services just to make life easy for themselves.

I can also confirm that attempting to raise the issue and find a solution with Customer (lack of) Support is a complete waste of time having tried ages ago and again recently. Soon it will no doubt be totally impossible for me to even contact Customer (lack of) Support due to not being able to get around the "you must have a working mobile phone in order to access Paypal" problem.

I somehow suspect that Paypal have this well covered mind you. Their Ts&Cs are no doubt carefully written along with the business registration being in an 'appropriate' location for minimising any tax payments and all compliance issues 😉 It seems pretty clear they just don't care that's for sure. Blame someone else for the problem and just ignore those customers being affected 😞

Login to Me Too

TractorTomHR

I am unable to login as the phone number attached to my account is a defunct landline that was scrapped 3 years ago. How can I log in and access the funds that have just been sent to me? This is beyond a joke !!!!

Login to Me Too

PhillW
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal are telling me that if I do not give a valid mobile phone for Strong Customer Authentication I will not be able to use my account. But I do not have a mobile phone, I don't need one or want one. How do I inform Paypal of that and are there any alternatives?

Login to Me Too

KSharqi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am having the same issue, but I am unable to give them my new phone number.

I stopped using the old one which is the only one they have and now I cannot login into my account.

How did u contact them?

Best regards

Karolina

Login to Me Too

ambrougham
Contributor
Contributor

This is just getting utterly ridiculous. The complete muppets at Paypal just can't even see how stupid and completely broken their systems appear to be for so many customers 😞

Having eventually managed to get a response to an e-mail sent to Paypal concerning this mandatory mobile phone nonsense and the related login issues due to not having one plus the simple fact that texts are not even being sent by Paypal to alternative landline or other numbers added, here's the really helpful reply:

>We have replied to your email
>
>New messages are waiting for you
>
>You'll find them in the Message Centre.
>
>Please don't reply to this email. This mailbox isn't monitored and you
>won't receive a reply. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account
>and visit our Help [URL deleted] page

Just how few brain cells do you actually need to work for Paypal ? Oh dear, we've got a customer who can't login sensibly and needs our help ... I wonder what's the best way to help them ... I know, I'll send them a message telling them to login to their A/C to read how to resolve their login issues ... That'll definitely solve their problems ... Yay me !!!!!!!!

In addition, despite changing landline phone service provider to one that includes text message delivery and then spending countless hours p*ssing about to get things changed over and fully working again ... Paypal are clearly NOT even sending these d@mn text messages out despite the on-screen confirmation stating that they have done so. Nothing whatsoever has been received from Paypal over several hours (never mind within the 15 min text validity window)  no matter how many attempts are made. I know for absolute certain that everything is working just fine for anyone else trying to call/text me any problem is down to Paypal.

Just in case that isn't enough to demonstrate just how STUPID THESE MORONS ARE, I'm also told to phone them on the number provided under "contact us" on the main page if I have any further problems. Well, the first problem is that there is no relevant phone number on the "contact us" page or indeed anywhere else. No e-mail. No phone. No usable help whatsoever. Very good at avoiding taxes tho 😉

It's beginning to look almost as though Paypal have actually been hacked hence the complete lack of any sensible response for months and the apparent 'encouragement' to change passwords etc ... despite this clearly NOT having anything whatsoever to do with whether phone numbers are being stored and/or updated correctly and whether text messages are or are not actually being sent out.

This stupid situation *REALLY* does need escalating to the appropriate Regulatory Body and/or Ombudsman in an attempt to force Paypal to deal with things properly and stop ignoring customers with fundamental problems accessing their accounts.

Login to Me Too

Dan666
Contributor
Contributor

put more people on the phones and not hang up on people or give them a option to change the profile phone number would solve the issue ??

Login to Me Too

lennyda
Contributor
Contributor
Yes my father has exactly the same problem. Doesn’t own a mobile phone, got locked out of his account, couldn’t understand the Phillipenes support contact so they sent him an email of how to resolve his issue which involved logging into his account and check for a message. They are a bunch of useless thick w@nk3rs. Will be complaining to the financial ombudsman on Monday.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.