Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,974 REPLIES 4,974

ittadakimaho
Why is the already existing 2 factor authentication mechanism not good enough and instead paypal tries to enforce mobile numbers and the much less secure sms transaction? Dear PayPal, as a person who constantly travels countries and as such constantly have to switch phone numbers this SMS authentificafion nonsense is simply not possible and feasible. You do have a working 2 factor auth which, by everything i can read about the SCA is perfectly suitable and sufficient. My own bank does use such measures and does not enforce sms tans. Please revise the further limitation of your service by narrowing down on the actual ways to 2 factor authenticate. If paypal finds itself unable to approach this topic, in my case i will just stop using paypal alltogether. And this is simply not debatable, I will not settle for a less secure and much more limiting method than i currently already use.
Login to Me Too

OldSalt2
Contributor
Contributor

I have always felt safe using PayPal and indeed for some organisations I deal with it is the only form of payment they accept.

I have worked with computers for much of my life and am very computer savvy but I do not use a smartphone and don't want one.  (If PayPal care to buy me one and pay the monthly account I might think differently.)  I do have a cellphone but very rarely switch it on and then only if I need to make a call. 

What's wrong with PayPal emailing me the code as they have once or twice in the past?  I'd even be happy to set up a new exclusive email address and use it via a VPN just for that purpose. 

I'm fairly elderly but not disabled but I do think the other contributors who have mentioned their disability problems have a genuine point.

Come on PayPal, not everyone has or is able to use a smartphone, nor is a signal available in many places.

I don't want to lose my PayPal account but it is looking as if PayPal will force me to do so!

Login to Me Too

kevgermany
Nice reply but it fails to answer the question. I retired. I no longer have a work phone. I have 3 other nunbers listed, two of which are primary. How do I delete the old work number? I tried adding my home number a second time as work, but you system wouldn't allow it. Frustrating for me and if you do need to contact me, frustrating for you. There is no delete as described in the online docs.
Login to Me Too

almightythor
Contributor
Contributor

no they don't I reported fraud to that twitter account on 8/1/2020 and they haven't even replied to my message yet. When I try to report fraud in the USA it just plays a recording that the phone number is not working. When I try to send a secure message I get a reply from a foreign country that doesn't understand my email or request. I don't know why paypal hates the customers in the USA so much that they won't even give us support in our own country to report legal issues to but there are other companies out there. I tried to tell people what is happening and get this!!!:

Paypal is going through and deleting all of my social and community posts within 24 hours!! Can you believe it? They have plenty of staff for censoring free speech and whistleblowers but they have no one that can help with fraud??? 

They have not replied to my fraud case in three days, still hold part of my money, wanted to charge me to deposit the money back into my bank after they stole from me, and they have not yet got one person to call me to get the bank charges refunded. They have plenty of staff for censoring any negative comments they are right on top of it! But when it comes to fraud they all turn their back on the USA victims while the foreign customer support staff is just laughing it up and they won't even call me. It's funny that paypal is investing in censorship while they refuse to even help people that report fraud to them.

Login to Me Too

sirkingmoses
Contributor
Contributor

I was Withdrawing and i got this statement. New PSD2 Regulations change the way you log in with PayPal. Kindly assist What should i edit in my profile

Login to Me Too

owenblacker
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a little confused; I had an email about needing to check my phone number so you can SMS me. But I already have TOTP set up in Google Authenticator, which is more secure than SMS.

Is it possible to configure my settings to use TOTP in preference to SMS?

Login to Me Too

PayPal dosn't send me 6-digit Code to my mobile phone! Hi. I am Ebay seller. Last login to PayPal was 3th September. All was ok but yesterday I can't login into my account. I have 2 step verification by sending to me 6 - digit code to my phone. I use it more that 10 year's in real life and in PayPal. I am from Latvia and I read that PayPal have some PSD2 ( or whatewer) new verification system. I need access to my PayPal account because we are company and sell a lot of item on Ebay. We can't work. My employee's use PayPal every day! I ask help on Twitter and Facebook but all I've got is absolute ignore! I can't even imagine how much money I pay to PayPal in fees and when I need help I don't get it!! I just need to access to my acount. I wrote from new PayPal account because I can't contact with any of Paypal support without it! Please tell me what's happening and how can I get to my accsess to my acount back! Regards.

Login to Me Too

iliketrees
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I been asked for a call or text to a landline number of mine that's no longer in use, when I request an alternative method it doesn't want to send a verification code to my registered email address but to a backup one (which is a gmail one I created on a whim) and cannot for the life of me remember the password.

How can I access my account as to contact Paypal its asking me to login, but I cannot login?

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

wideload1971

So, is anything actually happening with this? Given when the topic was started I'm going to say no.

The 'answer' of you need SMS to login is pretty pathetic and not really an answer to these concerns. It's laughable that they state security is a high concern, yet only supply SMS as an option. I'm all for two-factor authentication but options need to be provided, not just one being forced. While it's fair to say that the majority of people will have a mobile, that doesn't account for those that don't, don't need or can't use a mobile. So why bother with the minority when you have the majority, right?

Can the people in power please do something about this. Your own words even say "One such measure...." One. Which means there are others. You've had more than enough time to implement other factors and there really is no excuse for not doing it, aside from sheer stubborness. If other financial related companies can do it and still be secure, then so can you.

Please do something about this.

Login to Me Too

neven2
New Community Member

I have the same problem. Cannot login to account, and cannot get a person in call service because of covid19. This is very bad. Dont know what to do....

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.