PayPal Now Demanding "confirmation of information"?

aylaaktan
Contributor
Contributor

recently I received an email from PayPal stating that I have to provide extremely sensitive information in order to keep my account going, "Like using your PayPal balance to send and spend online? Confirm your info now. Or transfer to your bank when you get paid. It’s your choice!"...
the information they demanded from me (and what I've heard, other users) is an SSN and Driver's License photo... keep in mind, I have had my account since 2014, so this has nothing to do with "being new" or whatever the legitimate sounding reason could have been.... though in all frank honesty, I was asked to verify my identity, but in no such way as this....

have others received such an email from PayPal, and does this seem legit?

below are what the emails looked like to give others a better idea of what I received....
email 1: <removed>

email 2: <removed>

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@aylaaktan wrote:

recently I received an email from PayPal stating that I have to provide extremely sensitive information in order to keep my account going, "Like using your PayPal balance to send and spend online? Confirm your info now. Or transfer to your bank when you get paid. It’s your choice!"...
the information they demanded from me (and what I've heard, other users) is an SSN and Driver's License photo... keep in mind, I have had my account since 2014, so this has nothing to do with "being new" or whatever the legitimate sounding reason could have been.... though in all frank honesty, I was asked to verify my identity, but in no such way as this....

have others received such an email from PayPal, and does this seem legit?

below are what the emails looked like to give others a better idea of what I received....
email 1: <removed>

email 2: <removed>

If you get email notifications about such things all you need to do is log into your PayPal account directly at PayPal website. You will see a red dot in the bell icon and/or go to your Resolution Center to verify if the requests are legit because that is where PayPal asks you to provide such informations. And due to regulatory laws like anti-terrorism funding and anti-money laundering laws and Know Your Customer (KYC) and the US Patriot Act, and actually bringing the real world application into the virtual world in terms of being able to verify your identity, PayPal may legitimately want this info to comply with those laws. Importantly, you can automatically tell from the sender email address this email is fake because that is not an official PayPal company email address. I don't ever recall PayPal using mail dot PayPal dot com. But sometimes even PayPal real email address can be aliased so best to always log on to your PayPal account and do not click any links in emails.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

aylaaktan
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker that is odd, because when I did update part of the information PayPal demanded within the email on my PayPal account, it sent me an updated email..... odd....

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@aylaaktan wrote:

@sharpiemarker that is odd, because when I did update part of the information PayPal demanded within the email on my PayPal account, it sent me an updated email..... odd....

It depends on the situation too. If you really had to update and provide information, of course you will receive email communications officially from PayPal and expect it so but just be leery of emails that come out of nowhere unexpectedly requesting this information where it is best to log on to confirm that it is really PayPal asking for this information and that you are not being phished.

Login to Me Too

aylaaktan
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker I am currently on a call with PayPal support right now, so hopefully everything works out fine!

The information they were asking does appear like a legitimate request though, at hearing from what the support women on the phone is saying, right now.

Login to Me Too

Manny171
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@aylaaktan

that's Weird your not New? I have done the Drivers License & SSN confirmation with Paypal but that was in the beginning of when I opened up an account with them. do you have a Bank Link with them like a Bank card of yours?  it's a good thing that I have read the Paypal Policies so I can only help you with what I know.

for #1 Paypal does not ask for your personal information in an Email it could be there's but you should be very cautious with Emails I never respond to Emails directly unless I know I have sent Paypal the confirmation or anything else that I know I sent out to them.

so if you have tell me a little more so I can Help you with an answer (FAST)

#1 Bank card? did you Link it with Paypal? if you don't have a Bank Card I got a really good solution for you that will keep you safe guarded & it's a Paypal Bank Card a lot of people just have Paypal Balance by itself (DON'T DO THAT) 

#2 & this step don't Link your Bank card of a Different Name Bank with Paypal (DON'T DO THAT) I say don't because sometimes you might want to keep your one money on a different table for Bills, Rent, car $$ & the other? should just be PAYPAL ALONE that way you can do EBAY send money to friends or family without confusing your (Traditional Bank) I don't mix all my bills in the same pot that's a NO NO.

so my advice to you is? don't respond to that (EMAIL) don't give out your (LICENSE) call an AGENT from the REAL PAYPAL SITE go to Contact & find there phone number & asked about an Email they have sent if they say yes? than go ahead & (CONFIRM) don't jump to every email you see I use to be a Business Owner so I learned a lot about what not to do. the only way you might know if Paypal sent you an (Email) is by Logging in your own Paypal & check for the (NOTIFICATION) in your account don't log in to your account directly from an Email that could be fake & already jeopardized your Money $$ by a thief.

Hope that Helps if you have anymore Questions? I should be able to have an answer for you.

Login to Me Too

aylaaktan
Contributor
Contributor

@Manny171@sharpiemarker 

so I just got off the phone with an official PayPal support member (phone number obtained from official PayPal site itself), and they said that the email I received was legitimate and that they (PayPal) are now required to comply with some sort of regulation to verify its user's identity. the women I was speaking to stated that if possible, I may be able to simply verify my identity over the phone, however, then we immediately ran into a roadblock when my SSN number (last four digits) did not match what they claim to have on their database, so therefore I would be "required" to submit a photo of my card through the verification page. however, she said that PayPal did indeed receive my first piece of identification, and that it was accepted.

I do not know what I think now, since the "need" to verify my information seems legitimate, but know I am sketched out at the fact that my SSN number was not matching up with they system, even as I had my account pulled up in real time with a different set of numbers.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@aylaaktan

Thanks for the update. Yeah, it could be data entry errors in national databases causing these issues but I guess the PayPal security system does checks to make sure information matches so its more so a formality than anything sinister towards you or your account.

Login to Me Too

Manny171
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@aylaaktan

that is indeed very (INTERESTING) ok this is how it works so you will feel better Step by Step to how I did it at least to what I could remember don't be paranoid of your picture (ID) if they want it it's ok to give (Paypal) your License Picture the whole card because they are a (BANK) I'm old fashion so I will help you with the steps. take a picture of your License but (NOT) on your phone use something different like a Camera if you don't feel like your License or ID will be protected on your Device that's what I do.

2nd use a computer at home with your secure internet if you have one or family or friends house have your (SSN) & your (LICENSE/ID) be PREPARED I always tell my kids that. LOL 

the interesting part is that your (SSN) did not Match your Paypal (SSN) find out if anyone in your family or friends someone (SHADY) or look for your phone device maybe someone has your (PICTURE) your License information & used a (SSN) that is not yours but manage to use your face & there own SSN & it's working for them.

that's Dangerous they can leave you a mountain of debt & vanished without a trace because if your License/ID is being Used make sure that Paypal notifies the Authorities of a SSN that is not yours safe Guard yourself ASAP because this can fall on YOU since your the owner of the accnt.

so don't worry take these steps 1st

#1 Take a Picture of your License/ID

#2 your SSN

#3 have a computer handy

#4 pick up the phone again & Contact the Agent like you did the 1st time.

the Agent should have the ability to do a (Hard Reset)witch will Remove those last 4 digits of that SSN that don't match with yours witch is very ODD.

& make sure you have your SSN & License/ID in handy & in a computer use it separate from your phone so you can talk to the Agent. & while your with the Agent? also talk about getting a (Paypal Bank Card) it works like a Prepaid Bank Card & can't be overdrawn & you don't get a monthly maintenance fee $4.99 that's what I have.

don't be scared of Paypal having your (License & SSN) it's just like your LOCAL BANK I'm very Old School I grew up with before cellphones were invented & was around black & white tv & streets had Payphones LOL. Paypal is 100% Bank Government oversight just like your Local Bank? they ask for SSN & License/ID that's nothing NEW I have done that since the 1978 I was a young Lad in High school & I tell you there is nothing to worry about Paypal is Located in California I was Skeptical like you but years have gone by that I got use to Internet Banking but I'm very Old School & always knew that Banks were Physical location but today? everything is New.

& another tip for ya just like I tell my kids never Accept a (CHECK) in today's world is all Digital Banking so find out about that last for digits of the SSN & go & start digging in through your (CREDIT REPORT) you maybe are a Target from someone you know that is ready to Grab Credit cards in your name even buy a house & the police will come looking for you LOL. so Go & fix that Paypal of yours it should not look the way you have it.

if you have anymore Questions that can Help you if I have the answer? don't hesitate to ask.

Login to Me Too

PhilHyde
New Community Member
Longtime PayPal account.Paypal now requesting personal bank information to verify account and complete any purchase through EBay. That is even if you select pay with credit card at EBay instead of going direct to PayPal. This is with two credit cards already on file with PayPal. Three days of phone calls with PayPal and EBay to finally figure out why I could not purchase a $6.98 item.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.