PayPal, Fix the hidden Gift Address problem!!

TD-RN
Contributor
Contributor

When making a purchase on some website's some random address from who knows where comes up. The last time it happened I thought someone hacked my account. Come to find out this is a hidden "Gift Address" list that we as customers do not have access to in order to delete old addresses from. Why are you storing this information at all PayPal? Let me make my own address book. Let me delete these stupid "gift addresses". If I have an item paid through PayPal and shipped to the store for free shipping, I now have the store address as a "gift address". This is a HUGE problem. Some people can find a work around with an option to delete. I can't get this option to show up. I don't think Home Depot wants to receive the shoes I just ordered. Fix it PayPal!! Calling in doesn't help, they don't know what they are doing. The 'Contact us' link is actually a useless loop to use this community board. 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TD-RN 

Not sure if its in the same place in your countries account but i went to send&request > ignore the email box and click on 'send invoice' on the right side of that page > settings top of page and scroll down to addresses.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Stef9119
Contributor
Contributor

Just checked that address list, unfortunately it's not the one we're talking about! I didn't see any option for "JoAnn Fabric's" anywhere on the list. This is apparently a "secret list" of "gift addresses" that some vendor's apparently add to your account without your knowledge and unlike the auto payment set up, you can't delete anything from this "hidden gift address" book because it's hidden! Was told by another member that only Paypal representatives can remove them which is beyond dumb! It's okay for Paypal to decide to "gift" my L.E. figurine to JoAnn's  or Home Depot but I can't have control over whose on the stupid list or when it even get's used? The item wasn't marked as a "gift" so why I'd want to suddenly send it to a "gift address" instead of my "Primary address" - which is the only one that now exists on my account and should be the only one that really matters anyway - is beyond my comprehension!  

Login to Me Too

TD-RN
Contributor
Contributor

I agree, it should be illegal for them to automatically change our address without our permission. This is costing us money and sellers money if we aren't aware it's going to a wrong address on this hidden "gift address" list instead of our address we have set in our personal settings in our personal account. Plus the fact that we don't have access to it in order to delete it, and why it's being kept in the first place.

Login to Me Too

Stef9119
Contributor
Contributor

Had the EXACT same thing happen to me for the last month! All of a sudden things have been marked as shipped first to my old Cleveland State address, and now a $350 order to my local JoAnn Fabric Store! My name was filled in as "JoAnn" and everything! Thankfully the system didn't resisted the address as valid and allowed me to correct at least the shipping address, though not the billing address...so here's hoping it's not cancelled because of that! Was able to delete my old school address, but what's the purpose of a "hidden" gift list if you can't control whose on said list or when it's used at all? Was hell finding the link to Customer Service so I could ask them to delete the addresses...not sure if they will though since I only just sent out the email about it!

Link is: 

www.paypal.com/bt/smarthelp/contact-us?email=privacy

in case anyone else needs it. They should either remove this feature completely, or let us control whose on it, because this is ridiculous! Only received half of my purchases throughout the month of March and lost roughly $100 because though the merchandise was sent to my old college dorm, and they swear to me that they sent it all back to the sellers...none of them have yet to receive anything hence I didn't get my items or a refund! If this isn't fixed soon I will have to delete my Paypal account entirely because this is ridiculous and it's not the seller's fault it's Paypal's! Even had one recent experimental order where I deliberately went back in and tried to correct the information Paypal auto-filled and STILL somehow had the wrong address provided to the seller. -Thankfully had the foresight to include the correct address via a note to the seller explaining the situation so that one actually arrived! 

Login to Me Too

noaccountname
Contributor
Contributor

They still haven't fixed this. I've contacted them twice over the last two years and they act like they don't understand the problem.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.