PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication regulation trouble with phone number

bell117
Contributor
Contributor

I created my UK paypal account sometime last year as part of my education over there, I'm an overseas student, and had to leave the UK due to COVID but I still use my PayPal account there for paying for the storage on my stuff etc. The issue is that I can no longer log into it due to the new authentication system as I don't have my UK phone number anymore(I didn't use it for 90 days so it expired). I thought I could just change it except the issue is I CAN'T CHANGE IT IF I'M NOT LOGGED IN! OK no biggie right? I'll just call support. Issue there is that every time I phone Paypal it says it recognizes my number and tries to change the details for an account that isn't my UK one and there's no option to NOT be whatever account it thinks my current number is attached to(It's not my UK one I can tell you that). Is there any way I can resolve this because every turn I try and take I'm stopped dead in my tracks by some technical issue or BS that's been implemented. Why is the phone number automatic, Why can't I just use email, why is this so obtuse and designed to frustrate me and why can't this be simple as? 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

bell117
Contributor
Contributor

OK Update, I finally was able to get to support on the phone and after being called back after 2 hours of waiting, and 8 minutes of being on hold they dropped my call. This is insane. 

Login to Me Too

GemmaEquine
New Community Member

I can't even get a phone number for Paypal as every time I click 'call us' it asks for authentication via my old phone number which is long dead! Quite right this really IS insane!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.