PSD2 Disability Discrimination by Paypal?

Kuriologist
Contributor
Contributor

So I recently received information from Paypal that I must add my mobile phone number.

Have been with Paypal since 2004.

The problem: (i) don't have a mobile phone  (ii) live in a mobile signal dead zone (iii) am disability housebound. 

So I tried to get help/clarity from Paypal customer service via email. 

Once you get past the bot ,WOW! Are they hostile, belligerent & unhelpful!

Received a blunt, curt & very unhelpful response from Yusani - Give your mobile no. or close your Paypal account.

But I had also tried an alternative route to get information via Paypal on twitter (They at least tried to be helpful).

Twitter Paypal sent me this as a possible work around...trouble is I so now distrust Paypal employees in Paypal customer service  I need to know if this is a viable work around for the PSD2 conundrum of 'No Mobile Phone':

"Checked with the relevant department, and for the users without a mobile phone, we recommend this option below:

1)Download and install Desktop version of VIP Access from- vip. symantec. com 

2) Login to account, go to Settings -> Profile -> Enable 2FA on the account

3)Open VIP Access Token on Desktop

4)Follow steps to register Symantec Security Key – (Add Serial Number and 2 One Time Passwords generated by the Token)

5)2FA Enabled, which is SCA compliant. You will now be asked to add the Symantec One Time Password at login instead of a One Time Password sent via SMS.

I hope this helps to resolve your issue".

PLEASE can someone at Paypal confirm the above is a workable work around to not having a mobile phone to comply with Paypal enforcement of PSD2

...Oh & someone sack Yusani, Paypal really does not need negative employees like that.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

markedasred
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't been able to access money from my paypal account for 9 days now, and I only have one source of income, selling on ebay. The two attempts to contact them have resulted in them saying try to log in in 72 hours time, and still no luck. I only need them to recognise the need to change my phone number start code to the international version as the call comes from the states to the UK, but no, such a simple question to have the phone verification seems to them a no no. Why?. Come on paypal, sort this out for us, offer info on your start page for non mobile users, and let me at my own money please!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.