Opening new account/closing old account/ keeping same email address

tcp2
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to transfer the balance in my paypal account to a new paypal account and keep the same email address. How do I accomplish this? The old account would no longer be used to send and receive payments. Login would go to the new account

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tcp2 

Make sure your mobile number is current and works to receive sms texts in case PayPal needs to confirm it's you before doing this.

Ok, option 1

Withdraw the funds to the linked bank account of the old PayPal account if possible and then close PayPal account as per the close account checklist below and then open new PayPal account with the same email address you want.

Close account checklist:

1. Resolve any open disputes or account limitations.
  2. Zero out the balance.
  3. Cancel any active automatic payments.
  4. Remove financial info (bank accounts, cards).
  5. Go to Settings (cog icon).
  6. Click Close Account under Account Options section.
  7. For Business accounts: Go to Account Settings (gear icon). Click Close Account across from Account Type.

OR

Option 2:

1. Add a new email address to the old PayPal account

2. Confirm the email address

3. Go back into the new email address you just added and mark it as the new primary email address

4. Remove the email address you want to use for the new account

5. Open new PayPal account with removed email address, don't forget to confirm the email address.

6. Send your PayPal balance from the old PayPal account to the new PayPal account via friends and family.

7. Close the old account per the close account steps above.

I think option 1 is much easier and straight forward than option 2, granted if you're still opening a new US PayPal account. After opening new account, you can link the old bank account to the new PayPal account and add funds to PayPal balance or just select bank account to pay with. If the system does not let you link the old bank account to the new PayPal account, contact customer service to reset the bank account to add it again.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tcp2 

Make sure your mobile number is current and works to receive sms texts in case PayPal needs to confirm it's you before doing this.

Ok, option 1

Withdraw the funds to the linked bank account of the old PayPal account if possible and then close PayPal account as per the close account checklist below and then open new PayPal account with the same email address you want.

Close account checklist:

1. Resolve any open disputes or account limitations.
  2. Zero out the balance.
  3. Cancel any active automatic payments.
  4. Remove financial info (bank accounts, cards).
  5. Go to Settings (cog icon).
  6. Click Close Account under Account Options section.
  7. For Business accounts: Go to Account Settings (gear icon). Click Close Account across from Account Type.

OR

Option 2:

1. Add a new email address to the old PayPal account

2. Confirm the email address

3. Go back into the new email address you just added and mark it as the new primary email address

4. Remove the email address you want to use for the new account

5. Open new PayPal account with removed email address, don't forget to confirm the email address.

6. Send your PayPal balance from the old PayPal account to the new PayPal account via friends and family.

7. Close the old account per the close account steps above.

I think option 1 is much easier and straight forward than option 2, granted if you're still opening a new US PayPal account. After opening new account, you can link the old bank account to the new PayPal account and add funds to PayPal balance or just select bank account to pay with. If the system does not let you link the old bank account to the new PayPal account, contact customer service to reset the bank account to add it again.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.