Not everyone has a mobile phone number

tshobie
Contributor
Contributor

I've been clicking  Not Now when asked to register my mobile phone number because I don't have a mobile phone and don't want or need one.  Today though when I tried to log in there was no option to opt out, no Not Now click, in order to log into my account I had to register my mobile phone number. Since I don't have one I just put in my landline, but that didn't work because THEN they text you a verification code that you'll then need to proceed.  Can't text a landline. What a pain in the **bleep** Paypal.  So I put in my daughter's mobile phone number and then she had to tell me my verification code so I could freaking log in to my Paypal account.  I've had an account for years and years.   Why does everyone assume that everyone has a cell phone?  Why is Paypal forcing me to give them something I don't have?   I just wanted to vent, I'm sure no one can actually answer my questions.  

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Winefred
Contributor
Contributor

So others have this same problem but I see no help from Pay Pal, I can not get into my account!  Is their an answer??

HELP!!!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @tshobie and @Winefred,

I understand there may be some concern with PayPal requesting a mobile phone number number to create or continue using your account. PayPal is always looking to create a safer, more secure payment platform for our buyers and sellers. By asking to add and confirm a mobile phone on your account, this allows PayPal to help you service your account, send / receive payments (instead of just with an email address), and prevent / alert you of potentially fraudulent activity.

If the phone number on your PayPal account isn’t a mobile phone, we have option for you to use in our Interactive Voice Response (IVR) instead.  You should normally be able to confirm your phone by clicking “Call you with a code” button, and a one-time password (OTP) will be sent over a voice call.

If you have the same phone number on my personal and business account, the phone number on your personal account will need to be confirmed in order for you to log in. At this time, this requirement is only available for personal accounts. 

Our Customer Support teams are more than happy to address any issues with adding and confirming your mobile number should you run into any technical issues. You can reach them by clicking "Contact" at the bottom of any PayPal page, and where available, by Twitter direct message or Facebook instant message. 

I hope that helps!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.