No mobile phone number. What do I do?

tamale0
New Community Member

Paypal is now forcing me to add a mobile phone number.  I've been using google voice for years, and I don't have a true mobile phone number.  What are my options?  I've become pretty reiliant on paypal, for eBay shopping, banking, and sending money to friends.

I am a U.S. citizen and resident, but I spend most of my time abroad working for the U.S. Government.  I don't want to have to get a U.S. phone plan that sits idle 11 months of the year.  I think I'd rather close my paypal account, if that's my only option to maintain it.

Login to Me Too
46 REPLIES 46

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@-mouse- 

Was happy to point it out if you said which country you were in, you didn't, you gave a list, I am NOT your researcher so do you own work.

I was happy to check it out for your own country but not going to keep coming back when others are waiting for help.

You either get a mobile phone or sadly you may not be able to access your account, your choice.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

-mouse-
Contributor
Contributor

lol And I'm not your researcher. It's not my job to find facts that support your claim. You said it's the law, so prove it. What is the specific law?

But I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say you can't prove it because you didn't know if there even is a law when you said that. You never had the intention of backing up your claim with facts, because you never expected anybody to question it. And this whole time you've only been looking for excuses to avoid disproving it.

As far as the "others who need help" thing goes, if this exchange has been any indication of the help you provide, then your "help" is doing more harm than good. Making wild, unsubstantiated claims doesn't help anybody.

You should pay more attention to your own signature and remember the advice you give is voluntary. You voluntarily put yourself in these situations so you put this burden on yourself. Either provide proof or retract your claim.

Login to Me Too

Dorothy21
Contributor
Contributor

I completely agree.   Apparently our only option is to give in to this unsavory tactic or stop using Pay Pal.   I think I will choose the latter.   They are NOT the only option.

Login to Me Too

Aklsdjaflkadsjf
Contributor
Contributor

If you want to close your account, but can't log in, then I have a solution. If you reset your password (by clicking "Forgot My Password" and checking your email) then you can log in without having to provide a phone number. You can use this method to close your account, but you can't use it to send money. 

Paypal is absolutely stealing all of your personal information, and all of your paypal activity will be sold to advertisement companies. Your phone number is what the advertisers use to uniquely identify you! Never give your phone number to any website on the internet, it's as precious as your SSN. 

Login to Me Too

livid
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!  I will give your suggestion a shot.

Login to Me Too

livid
Contributor
Contributor

Stop using EBay!

EBay owns Paypal, now.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@livid 

No they don't, they used to own Paypal but both companies split in  2015 !!!

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@livid 

Nope paypal is in control of paypal and ebay is in control of ebay.

Best to actually read information before posting incorrect advice.

Google is a good resource.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

livid
Contributor
Contributor

No need to sermonize.  

There were a number of on-line statements that Paypal

is owned by eBay.

You corrected this.

This is what blogs are for.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@livid 

Yes blogs are for correcting misinformation which is what I did so odd you took exception to it?

And showing you a good resource to find the information yourself seems logical to me.

so...you're welcome. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.