cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No mobile phone number. What do I do?

tamale0
New Community Member

No mobile phone number. What do I do?

Paypal is now forcing me to add a mobile phone number.  I've been using google voice for years, and I don't have a true mobile phone number.  What are my options?  I've become pretty reiliant on paypal, for eBay shopping, banking, and sending money to friends.

I am a U.S. citizen and resident, but I spend most of my time abroad working for the U.S. Government.  I don't want to have to get a U.S. phone plan that sits idle 11 months of the year.  I think I'd rather close my paypal account, if that's my only option to maintain it.

6 REPLIES 6
swabian
Contributor

Re: No mobile phone number. What do I do?

I don't have mobile phone as I consider it attack on my privacy. I am available trough my land lines - at work and at home, or trough my e-mail. That means - if I am off, I am off! I do not want to be disturbed! Even my wife has no mobile phone and we live happily without one! We sure have a drawer filled with unused machines we bought only to use them if someone was in hospital or while traveling - but we do not have active number!

I do not think that money transfer should be connected to my personal preferences!

wibbley23
Contributor

Paypal is datamining.

They are duping people into believing they have no option except to give that information to them to access their account.

If you have contact us on the 'Enter your confirmation code'  page which comes up after you log in - it should be at the bottom of that page - clicking this takes you into your account where you can then access your account 'normally'.

This in my opinion is sneaky! How many people will fill that data in unknowingly / How many will this effect who do not own these devices / How many will this effect who do not wish to share that data. The implications of this on a wider level is to get people to believe this is something 'normal' & we have to 'comply'. Oh dear.

Paypal - treating your customers like this is not the smartest idea.

wibbley23
Contributor

As an add-on to what has been happening in regards to paypal datamining for mobile phone numbers.

I had some dealings through Ebay with a company based in India whilst I am based in another country- when I received an invoice from them I noticed that my phone number was on the invoice. This means Paypal gives that information to ANYONE who you do 'business' with, regardless if you wish to keep that information personal or not.

Paypal, why not give your customer that option whether they wish to disclose this information or not?

This is wrong in so many ways. India currently has a problem with 'scam' call-centres who prey on duping innocent people out of their money, these people believing they are talking to a call centre which could, for example, help them fix their computer. In respects to this, Would you want your private information to be given away in this way? All it takes is for your number to be given to these scammers & you are making yourself vunerable to being scammed.

Paypal you seriously need to sort out your data protection - You cannot sneekily coerce that information out of your customers & at the same time just give that information away freely to those who potentially could use that information in an unscrupulous way.

I see no way to get passed this screen.  so horrible to force this on customers.

wibbley23
Contributor

Yes, looks like they stopped you having access to your own account via the way I mentioned to bypass the asking for a phone number from you.

I do not own a phone nor wish to own one. I do not wish to use someone elses number either just to be able to access my account.

I do not wish to give Paypal any type of Data which has been proven to me they cannot be trusted with.

-mouse-
Contributor

They came for me with this crap today. They've really got us by the short hairs, don't they? We have no choice but to give in to their demands or else we can't get to our money. They don't even care if a person doesn't have a phone anymore? And don't try to say everybody has a phone because I just got my first smart phone only a month ago. I guess in that sense, I was lucky. I have no idea what I or anyone else would do if they didn't have a phone. Presumably Paypal doesn't want to do business with us phoneless loser types?

The part that absolutely blows my mind with all of this is that they already have my email. They can't send a verification code to my email address? That's not good enough? What's wrong, Paypal? Are scammers not buying email addresses anymore? Is that why you need my phone number now?

I just can't get over this. They have my email, my home address, my social security number, my bank information, my credit card information, and my phone number. Oh, what's that? They already had my phone number? Yes they did. They had my "home" phone number. That wasn't good enough though. They also needed my "mobile" number. Yeah I guess I can see why that one thing is absolutely necessary. Without a mobile phone number, how in the world would they ever know who I was? I could be anybody. My life is so shrouded in secrecy that I might as well be an MIB agent, because they don't have my mobile number. Did I ever exist at all? Who knows! What a joke.

This is all just more proof that you should never give them an inch, cause they'll always take a mile.