No Mobile Phone

Choreo
New Community Member

I keep getting emails from PayPal asking me to add/verify my Mobile Phone Number (sending me a code). I do not own a Mobile Phone. I have had the same land-line phone number for over 45 years, but I guess they "assume" that everyone now has a digital ball & chain connected to them.

Do I really need to go out and buy a mobile phone and sign a service contract to have a PayPal account now???

Login to Me Too
139 REPLIES 139

JanS55
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem, called Paypal.  Their rep said the mobile phone requirement is "hardwired" and they couldn't do anything about it.  I asked for their supervisor.  Took over a half hour to get one on the phone, but they FIXED it in about 2 minutes.  Apparently there is a way for the SUPERVISORs to input your land line number into the mobile number requirement and make it happy again.

Login to Me Too

Teslafan101
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

hard to believe Paypal would ask that,plenty of people out there who still use their landline phone.

have you tried calling Paypal or email them on TWITTER or search this forums or go to Ebay forum and ask,there are many ebayers on that forum who have landline  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Teslafan101 

Unfortunately one of the main ways paypal 'verify' your i.d. if you have account issues is by sending a text to the mobile phone you have linked to your Paypal account.

Its one of the main ways paypal security verifies its you.

Not much point having a landline if you are trying to use your paypal account 200 miles away and you need to verify i.d.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Teslafan101
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

a friend of mine just open an Ebay account,it asks for a mobile phone number but then it also allow a landline phone number ,so she got her account open with no problem.

I guess Paypal is different.

Hard to believe Paypal would not offer an alternative to mobile phone,plenty of people stay put at home using their landline to surf online or chat with others.

some folks dont even have a phone ,land or mobile,living on fixed income,that saving would buy them another bag of grocery !

if they need to use the phone,they go see their neighbor    

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Teslafan101 

Of course you can open an account with a landline but it wouldn't be much good if you were not at home and were using our paypal account and paypal needed to i.d. that it was you.

You couldn't drive all the way home just so you could get a call on your landline !!!

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Teslafan101
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Some folks with landline do not have cell phones and they dont buy online outside their house.

These folks are active on Ebay,they look for household staples like toothpaste,diapers,paperback books,detergents,grocery coupons.

their friends do not have cell phones,they call each other with their landline.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Teslafan101 

As i said you do not have to have a mobile phone.

They may buy only 'in their house' but that does not mean that when they go out or on holiday that there may be an issue with their paypal account meaning paypal needing to confirm their i.d. via a text on their phone before they can sort that issue to verify who they are.

As I keep saying a mobile phone is vital for security not just for paypal but for the email address linked to that paypal account + any cards or bank accounts linked to that account.

Thats why bank accounts and card companies ask you as well to link a mobile phone and keep it up to date on your account for security.

Can't see how 'safely' anyone can forego using one these days, no way would I leave the house without mine.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

lurexa
Contributor
Contributor

As a disabled person, I only shop online from my home , I very rarely leave the house and don't go on holiday and although I did have a mobile phone years ago i was unable to get a good reception was finding that I was putting credit on my phone then losing the money as I had only used it 1 or 2 times before the credit was wiped out. Needless to say, I discarded the mobile and only use a landline. paypal do accept that I don't have a mobile but I am trying, without success to help my (also disabled and deaf) Husband open an account to send money to his grandchildren. Obviously he doesn't have a mobile phone therefore is unable to use paypal and is very disappointed.

As for a mobile number being vital for security with companies and banks etc. I have never had a problem registering with anywhere other than paypal

Login to Me Too

As we keep telling you. You HAVE TO HAVE A cell phone in order to continue to use your account. When I say continue, I mean that I have been using the same account for many years and now can no longer log in without a cell phone. You probably shouldn't be making replies if you aren't up to date with PayPal policies.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mysterycompany1 

In case that comment was aimed in my direction can i point out that my post was dated 2019 when at that time paypal did not insist that you had a mobile phone, they now do.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.