No Mobile Phone

Choreo
New Community Member

I keep getting emails from PayPal asking me to add/verify my Mobile Phone Number (sending me a code). I do not own a Mobile Phone. I have had the same land-line phone number for over 45 years, but I guess they "assume" that everyone now has a digital ball & chain connected to them.

Do I really need to go out and buy a mobile phone and sign a service contract to have a PayPal account now???

Login to Me Too
139 REPLIES 139

HmblUser
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with you. If I can't find a way to change my bank account (requires phone verification) without having to buy a mobile phone, I'll have to use another payment service. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HmblUser 

Most other companies are requiring a mobile phone number for security reasons.

Why not just buy a cheap pay as you go phone for a tenner just for that reason?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jimiL
Contributor
Contributor
@Kernlnowlass "Most other companies are requiring a mobile phone number for security reasons." Most companies also offer alternatives, card reader, email, landline, and other verification services. PayPal is the only one I've come across that doesn't. I think most other services are smart enough to realise they will lose customers if they don't offer options !
Login to Me Too

HmblUser
Contributor
Contributor

Three reasons:   1) That's not what I find. I do most of my work and business online and Paypal is the ONLY company I've ever done business with that requires a mobile number. Every other company either offers alternative verification means OR accepts VOIP numbers. Paypal rejects the VOIP numbers I've supplied, even though I've had one for going on 15 years. 2) It's not worth it to me to pay for poor (or exorbitant) cell service just for the convenience of another company--especially one that's not critical to me.  3) I'm not required by law to do so--on the contrary, as someone else has already pointed out, companies are encouraged (required?) to accept other verification means. The more consumers resist the push to require everyone to pay for mobile service, the more likely companies will find other suitable alternatives. In the end, now that Ebay no longer requires a Paypal account, I don't have to use Paypal.

Login to Me Too

sidney0001
Contributor
Contributor

why should one be FORCED to buy and use a mobile phone .. I do NOT wish to have one and do not wish my every move to be recorded and available to Google and every other spyware company! 

Login to Me Too

CHUCK85
Contributor
Contributor

Why buy something that you dont require same as buying a horse & never riding it

Login to Me Too

CHUCK85
Contributor
Contributor

So your the expert assuming that everyone has a computer typical I have something so everybody must have one

Login to Me Too

HmblUser
Contributor
Contributor

VOIP doesn't work for many of us. I've given PP two VOIP numbers and PP has rejected both of them. I don't want to spend cash on a wireless service plan in my area that has horrible service with all the big carriers, let alone buy a disposable phone for just a single account verification. 

Login to Me Too

thinwater2001
Contributor
Contributor

No, paypal has my email address, physical address, ebay account link, credit card number, this is about further tracking and should be resisted.  Why should I have to purchase something else to keep it going, that requires a monthly fee, or as you use fee.  Paypal can just remove the requirement, easier and no cost!

Login to Me Too

anthonyaag
Contributor
Contributor

Please advice PayPal executives that many people DO NOT HAVE MOBILE SERVICE at their home and thus are now prevented from using PayPal (8/2021). We have a mobile phone, but there is NO CELL PHONE SERVICE in the<removed>. I can only initiate a code call back, then drive 5 miles into town and get service and find the code, and then drive back home to my desktop computer. I can't do this within the 10 minutes allotted.

PayPal needs to have a way to confirm identity over a LAND LINE, or by some other method.

I have also sent an email to the VP of Investor Relations to bring this issue to their attention!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.