No Mobile Phone

Choreo
New Community Member

I keep getting emails from PayPal asking me to add/verify my Mobile Phone Number (sending me a code). I do not own a Mobile Phone. I have had the same land-line phone number for over 45 years, but I guess they "assume" that everyone now has a digital ball & chain connected to them.

Do I really need to go out and buy a mobile phone and sign a service contract to have a PayPal account now???

Login to Me Too
139 REPLIES 139

philipy

No, it isn't my problem, it's a problem that Paypal have created for me after many years of it not being a problem atall.

Login to Me Too

Jerry747

Why should anyone have to fix a problem that Paypal created?

Login to Me Too

pf329
Contributor
Contributor

You haven't used the exact words "tough buy a mobile", but that's the essence of the message being received from you.

I'm curius how you got the tag 'Esteemed Advisor'.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pf329 

Well yes to be honest thats what it amounts to, but i can only give you the facts.

I would love to say 'nah don't bother with a phone, paypal will work around you not having one' would that be the answer that you want?

However that would be incorrect advice but I guess you only want answers that agree with you.

i got the title because I have over 40,000 kudos/solutions given by the 'users' of this forum for helping them solve their issues.

So how many folks have you saved from being scammed on here on a daily basis? Oh thats right none, you prefer to butt in on a thread just to have a pop at my answer then?  

And the facts are YOU HAVE TO HAVE A MOBILE TO USE PAYPAL NOW, like it or lump it those are the FACTS.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

urcandid
Contributor
Contributor

Email. Email is how Paypal can verify just like EVERY other company out there...if they wanted our non-mobile business. There is NO reason to require a mobile device.  Was hoping Paypal would be willing to verify through email like so many other companies who gladly use that as a long time mode of verification. What a sad display for any advisor to be so rude and arrogant. No time for people like that. Whatever happened to friendly and professional service?! Bye bye paypal.

Login to Me Too

CHUCK85
Contributor
Contributor

The nerd made it up himself

Login to Me Too

Randall_H
Contributor
Contributor

I am paralyzed from chst down & physically unable to use a cell phone, even the 'hands free' ones.  At home I have to use speaker on land line.

Login to Me Too

philipy

Personally I'd prefer that you didn't reply at all if thats your only advice.

Login to Me Too

AlanM1
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, a sad assumption that EVERYONE has access to or even wants to be encumbered by the cost and aggravation of owning a mobile phone. And even more ridiculous to attribute it to security. And yes, I know that people are now clinically addicted to their mobile phones and think that those without them are the weirdos... fair enough.. perhaps we're just old and grumpy and once our generation have died out then the infinite vertical scrolling hordes can clog the pavements quite happily wrapped in the security of whatever two-factor authentication the government insist on next.

At least it'll put an end to my frivolous impulse purchases!

🙂

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AlanM1 

You don't think you need a phone yet you use the internet !!!!

Surely if a phone is not useful then the internet is not as well.

I would not leave my house without my phone, i broke down in a remote area late at night once and was so glad i had my phone with me.

Its helped in no end of 'situations' for friends and family.

Not sure why anyone would consider NOT having one to be honest with you.

You do not have to use it to scroll social media believe it or not that is not compulsory.

But it is very good for security reasons. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.