No Mobile Phone

Choreo
New Community Member

I keep getting emails from PayPal asking me to add/verify my Mobile Phone Number (sending me a code). I do not own a Mobile Phone. I have had the same land-line phone number for over 45 years, but I guess they "assume" that everyone now has a digital ball & chain connected to them.

Do I really need to go out and buy a mobile phone and sign a service contract to have a PayPal account now???

Login to Me Too
139 REPLIES 139

handyman-cabibn
Contributor
Contributor

Many PayPal users are digital nomads. The use of mobile phone as verification won't always work or the most inconvenient way of verification. Why don't they use 'verified email' instead? Is this another way of confining people to stick to where ever country they are in and not allowed to go anywhere?

Login to Me Too

Temp20210503c
Contributor
Contributor

I do not use smart phones because of electromagnetic sensitivity. One phone call can cause three months of intermittent, very strange headaches. I will not be forced into using one. I usually try making up a number: sometimes that works as long as no one calls it. In the future, more and more people may have this problem due to the increase of rf radiation as a result the additional microwave antennas being installed along with the 5G installations. Eventually, what PayPal is doing may be recognized as discrimination against handicapped individuals. In the meantime, I will have to write more checks and mail them, and set up more payments through my credit union.

I have heard about PayPal eliminating small business accounts because they do not like their political opinions. Now they are trying to eliminate customers who are concerned about privacy, freedom, and health. This goes along with the censorship that is happening in social media. Eventually, new businesses offering greater freedom should come into being.

Login to Me Too

HmblUser
Contributor
Contributor

I emailed Paypal that I couldn't change my bank info because I'm using just VOIP. They seemed pretty accommodating, replying that I could call them to do it by phone. First thing their automated system asked for was a security code they sent to my VOIP. This must be happening more often b/c my VOIP service wants to CHARGE ME specifically to receive verification codes. US citizens aren't required by law to have mobile phones. There are other ways of verifying identity that don't cost consumers extra money for poor service/tech. Thankfully, Ebay no longer requires a PayPal account--which was the only reason I created my account. 

Login to Me Too

tkcork
Contributor
Contributor

You are now required to have a mobile phone if you want to use paypal. You are not even allowed to contact them without confirming your mobile phone. They require it to be your phone also. You mobile phone freaks should look up and get your noses out of your phones for a second instead of stumbling around like zombies poking at your screens all day long. The world will not end if you don't have them on and with you all the time. Too bad if you try to call me and I'm not available. Believe it or not, there are a few people in this world who still don't have a cell phone and don't want one. It appears to be getting to the point where everyone will be required to have one with them at all times. I'm sure you think it's inconsiderate to all of those poor hard working phone solicitors that I'm not plugged in all the time. Back off Paypal and all of you mobile freaks. I have used paypal for years without a cell phone and I resent them changing their account requirements. Their excuse is that it's for my protection for security to confirm my identity. I gave them my land line #, my email, and my home address. I'm sure you can confirm my id without requiring a cell phone. I'm not buying a cell phone just to keep pp happy. Goodbye Paypal!

Login to Me Too

HmblUser
Contributor
Contributor

I keep getting marketing emails from PayPal--for their credit card, for special offers to sign up with their business partners... They've also lost my business because of their overly-intrusive mobile phone requirement. Like you said, you can't even get help at PP anymore without first entering your mobile phone data. There are far too many privacy-centric business alternatives out there to keep using PayPal, so I've left, too. None of these companies will help you when your data is stolen and you face the consequences of malicious actors.

Login to Me Too

JanS55
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have a mobile phone, cannot use one at my home in the country, don't have coverage.  So even if I get one, Paypal can't call me on it.  Now I can't log in at all to Paypal, have a bill pending, use Paypal to pay on a lot of sites. What am I supposed to do?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JanS55 

I don't have a signal either, so i use wifi phoning.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

JanS55
Contributor
Contributor

I called Paypal, rep told me the mobile phone requirement is "hardwired", nothing he could do about it.  I asked for a supervisor, and when I finally got one on the phone she went into my account and fixed it in about 2 minutes.  I think she made it take my landline number as a mobile number.  Thanks for your response.

Login to Me Too

Sortohn125
Contributor
Contributor
youon I keep getting emails from PayPal asking me to add/verify my Mobile Phone Number (sending me a code). I do not own a Mobile Phone. I have had the same land-line phone number for over 45 years, but I guess they "assume" that everyone now has a digital ball & chain connected to them. Do I really need to go out and buy a mobile phone and sign a service contract to have a PayPal account now??? Account
Login to Me Too

Milica24

I have the same problem.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.