No Mobile Phone

Choreo
New Community Member

I keep getting emails from PayPal asking me to add/verify my Mobile Phone Number (sending me a code). I do not own a Mobile Phone. I have had the same land-line phone number for over 45 years, but I guess they "assume" that everyone now has a digital ball & chain connected to them.

Do I really need to go out and buy a mobile phone and sign a service contract to have a PayPal account now???

Login to Me Too
139 REPLIES 139

CHUCK85
Contributor
Contributor

Typical brainwashed snowflake that seems to say all my friends have a mobile so i must as well I dont need one so why should i buy one

Login to Me Too

sidney0001
Contributor
Contributor

So you  carry a mobile all the time .. That makes you a massive security risk as ALL of your data is on the phone and phones are easily lost ans stolen in millions daily. It is easy to hack a mobile as Android is not very secure and there are several hacks to gain entry and extract your data .....

My Laptop and PC NEVER leave the house , their security is far higher . I can hack a mobile inside 1 hr but my security on my computers is not so easily hacked  and as they never leave the house they are far less likely to be open to hacking. If I am away and wish to pay I use a credit card and Pin .

Paypal are about to lose my account which will cost them a significant income. I only took it out to use Ebay and now Ebay have distanced from Paypal and I mostly use my credit card .. faster and easier .  Their own website says "

What changes will I see when using PayPal?

Most of the time you'll log in or pay with PayPal by entering your email address and your PayPal password as usual. We may sometimes ask you to confirm your identity. The easiest way is via the PayPal App. Make sure you authorise push notifications from the PayPal App. Click here to download the PayPal App. You'll also have the option to enter a one-off passcode which we will send by SMS to the phone number you've registered with us; or via a phone call if you have a landline.

What do I need to do?

Check that your current telephone (mobile and/or landline) number is correct in your PayPal account Profile. If we need to ask you for a one-off passcode, we can send it by SMS to your mobile phone number or via phone call to your landline, so your payment or login won't be delayed.

For easy authentication, you can also download the PayPal app. If we need to confirm your identity, you can open the PayPal App to provide confirmation.

When will I need to enter this code? Do I need to do it every time I log in or pay?

Most times, we'll be able to verify your identity using the PayPal password you’ve typed and the device you're using (if it’s one of your usual devices). So, you may continue to log in to your PayPal account or pay with PayPal as usual, using your email address and your PayPal password." 

BUT I am ASKED EVERY TIME I LOG ON even just to view my account .. for the  digit code and a mobile! 

Login to Me Too

Your advice "Of course you can have an account with a landline" shows that you haven't taken the time to read the thread. The reason that this is an open topic is because you can no longer have an account without a cell phone.  Your indignant retort "You couldn't drive all the way home" shows that you have no empathy. I am always at home. I cannot leave. That's why I don't need a cell phone.

Login to Me Too

CHUCK85
Contributor
Contributor

Suggest you check your message before uploading as you say OUR  account not YOUR Expert??

Login to Me Too

Acquisitions
Contributor
Contributor

The email is all they need. There's absolutely no need for a  phone - or how has this been working just fine for 10 years, but suddenly today I can't even access my PayPal account? I'm effectively locked out from a work account - no work mobile phone and there's absolutely no way that I'm linking my personal phone to PayPal. This policy is utter nonsense.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Acquisitions 

Sadly nonsense or not this is a new paypal requirement, so you either add a mobile phone for security requirements or stop using paypal.

Even my bank requires you to add a mobile phone for security reasons on my online banking site.

Way of the world I think, technology changes.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jimiL
Contributor
Contributor

It's not the way of the world at all, it's simply paypals interpretation of SCA

My bank gives me a choice (sms, email or card reader) as do all the other companies I deal with, PayPal is the only one with such a nonsense policy.

Very shortly I'll be in a position to dump PayPal after over 16 years of using it, purely because of this stupid policy. I'm fairly sure I won't be only one who is walking away because of this policy

Login to Me Too

Acquisitions
Contributor
Contributor

They cut off access with no warning, not prompted by any security incident.

Would/could your bank do that?

Login to Me Too

Acquisitions
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

forgot to tag you in the message above -

does your bank cut off access to your account with no warning, and the only contact option available (since they won't let you log in) is a customer service number connecting you to nice, innocent people forced to read robotic nonsense from a script, who aren't able to help you get back into the account you've been locked out of?

Login to Me Too

sidney0001
Contributor
Contributor

I don't access paypal away from home , don't have a mobile phone and have no desire to have one 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.