cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Mobile Phone

Acquisitions
Contributor

Re: No Mobile Phone

The email is all they need. There's absolutely no need for a  phone - or how has this been working just fine for 10 years, but suddenly today I can't even access my PayPal account? I'm effectively locked out from a work account - no work mobile phone and there's absolutely no way that I'm linking my personal phone to PayPal. This policy is utter nonsense.

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor

@Acquisitions 

Sadly nonsense or not this is a new paypal requirement, so you either add a mobile phone for security requirements or stop using paypal.

Even my bank requires you to add a mobile phone for security reasons on my online banking site.

Way of the world I think, technology changes.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
jimiL
Contributor

It's not the way of the world at all, it's simply paypals interpretation of SCA

My bank gives me a choice (sms, email or card reader) as do all the other companies I deal with, PayPal is the only one with such a nonsense policy.

Very shortly I'll be in a position to dump PayPal after over 16 years of using it, purely because of this stupid policy. I'm fairly sure I won't be only one who is walking away because of this policy

Acquisitions
Contributor

They cut off access with no warning, not prompted by any security incident.

Would/could your bank do that?

Acquisitions
Contributor

@kernowlass 

forgot to tag you in the message above -

does your bank cut off access to your account with no warning, and the only contact option available (since they won't let you log in) is a customer service number connecting you to nice, innocent people forced to read robotic nonsense from a script, who aren't able to help you get back into the account you've been locked out of?

PeteNI
Contributor

I have the same problem as the questioner and came here to find out what arrangements Paypal can offer to non-mobile users.

I am disappointed to find that the answers appear to be 'tough, you are a dinosaur. Buy a mobile or stop using Paypal'.

It appears that I shall be locked out in the near future.

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor

@PeteNI 

I don't think anywhere on this thread did i say ''tough buy a mobile''.

I gave advice as to HOW paypal works and why you really do need a mobile for security reasons.

Would you prefer I lied? 

Advice is voluntary.
Steve900
New Community Member

I have no phone and I must scream. Fare-thee-well PayPal. You will not be missed. Mostly.

jimiL
Contributor

Somewhat different position for me, I have a mobile phone, however where I live has zero mobile signal  and to make matters worse I work offshore, 3 weeks on 3 weeks on, where I also have no mobile signal. I have internet access at home via my landline and offshore via satellite so what am I supposed to do ? I'm a long standing user of PayPal but obviously not for much longer. To say it's more secure is nonsense, text messages are anything but secure! and to not offer an alternative is also nonsense,  my bank has the alternative of logging in via a code from a card reader, can't see any reason Paypal couldn't do something similar.

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor

@jimiL 

I have very poor mobile signal so i use 'wi-fi' phoning, problem solved.

Advice is voluntary.