No Mobile Phone

Choreo
New Community Member

I keep getting emails from PayPal asking me to add/verify my Mobile Phone Number (sending me a code). I do not own a Mobile Phone. I have had the same land-line phone number for over 45 years, but I guess they "assume" that everyone now has a digital ball & chain connected to them.

Do I really need to go out and buy a mobile phone and sign a service contract to have a PayPal account now???

Login to Me Too
139 REPLIES 139

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sidney0001 

Can't believe anyone would not want one to be honest, even for safety when out and about or on the road.

However if you don't want one then you 'may' not be able to access your paypal account.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PeteNI
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem as the questioner and came here to find out what arrangements Paypal can offer to non-mobile users.

I am disappointed to find that the answers appear to be 'tough, you are a dinosaur. Buy a mobile or stop using Paypal'.

It appears that I shall be locked out in the near future.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PeteNI 

I don't think anywhere on this thread did i say ''tough buy a mobile''.

I gave advice as to HOW paypal works and why you really do need a mobile for security reasons.

Would you prefer I lied? 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Steve900
New Community Member

I have no phone and I must scream. Fare-thee-well PayPal. You will not be missed. Mostly.

Login to Me Too

jimiL
Contributor
Contributor

Somewhat different position for me, I have a mobile phone, however where I live has zero mobile signal  and to make matters worse I work offshore, 3 weeks on 3 weeks on, where I also have no mobile signal. I have internet access at home via my landline and offshore via satellite so what am I supposed to do ? I'm a long standing user of PayPal but obviously not for much longer. To say it's more secure is nonsense, text messages are anything but secure! and to not offer an alternative is also nonsense,  my bank has the alternative of logging in via a code from a card reader, can't see any reason Paypal couldn't do something similar.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jimiL 

I have very poor mobile signal so i use 'wi-fi' phoning, problem solved.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jimiL
Contributor
Contributor

That's great if :

a. Your service provider allows that (not all do)

b. Your phone is able to do it ( again not all do)

In my case neither do, so problem still exists.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jimiL 

But if you want to solve a problem surely you have to do of modicum of effort yourself.

1. EE, Vodafone, O2 and Three each offer Wi-Fi Calling in some form. How many more do you need?

2. Get a phone that does. All major phone carriers offer WiFi calling, with support for the recent iPhones and Android phones.

Failing that don't use paypal but don't blame them because you don't want to fix your own problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jimiL
Contributor
Contributor

You know absolutely nothing about me, what efforts I have made or money I have spent in attempts to alleviate this  problem, so your "comments" are totally uncalled for and are downright rude.

To sum up your "advice"

Buy a new phone

Change my carrier

Stop using PayPal

Thanks very much, none of those options occurred to me !  If that's PayPal's attitude to their long term customers then I'll mostly likely be using your last suggestion.

Regards

Jimi

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jimiL 

Well i have given you many suggestions on how to sort your problem.

Easy enough, buy a cheap PAYG phone that does wifi phoning, problem sorted.

So...........your welcome.   🤣

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.