Name change

nestorickm
Contributor
Contributor

So let me start with i am extremely new to paypal. So i put the account in my name and start selling some cards off eBay. I got money and i was going to set up a paypal cash account. Basically keeping the money on here and not transferring it. Well, i lost my ss card. So i thought oh ill just update my name to my moms show a bill she had drivers license and id be able to get the money. Like i said very new.....and i also didnt have any of the other documents to verify my id as i have not had a real job that has given one of those documents. I also didnt read what it said until realizing after that you cant really switch that account to someone elses name or thats what ive been reading. I just wanna know that im not going to get banned or something along those lines because i just made this account and have money sitting in the account waiting to be accepted when the people that bought cards from me recieve said cards. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nestorickm 

Alright, cool. Looks like its working. 🙂 When transfer marked complete, means PayPal has processed your request to transfer and let it go through. Then the clock starts 'til the funds get to your bank account. Almost home free. 😉

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nestorickm 

Yes, you cannot switch names to someone else's just like that. So what's the problem; just provide your SSN, DOB, confirm your name and billing address. Wait, I guess you have not confirmed the PayPal account by linking a bank account. 

Are they asking for documents?

You can always get a replacement SS card: https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

You can get your State ID at you DMV.

Login to Me Too

nestorickm
Contributor
Contributor

i just wanted to know if they would give me like a grace for trying it since i didnt realize you couldnt do it im just gunna transfer it to my bank from now on anyway while i get the ss card 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nestorickm 

So how did you attempt to change the name, you called customer service or you tried to do it online? If you did it online, it'll just ask for documents for certain types of changes so you probably didn't very far with name change and shouldn't be that much of an issue.

If it lets you withdraw to bank with no problems for the time being then definitely do that. You just won't be able to use the PayPal balance functions until you can convert it to PayPal Cash/Cash Plus. When you are ready to, just do a transaction where you receive money and go through the Accept Money process to keep funds in the balance.

Login to Me Too

nestorickm
Contributor
Contributor

yeah i tried doing it online and just got to impatient and clicked to fast so totally my fault but i did just try and transfer the money to my bank and it says it got my request to transfer it and is pending so i think im all good hopefully. thanks for the answers though. @sharpiemarker 

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nestorickm 

Alright, cool. Looks like its working. 🙂 When transfer marked complete, means PayPal has processed your request to transfer and let it go through. Then the clock starts 'til the funds get to your bank account. Almost home free. 😉

Login to Me Too

KianaH223
Contributor
Contributor
How did you fix the problem I have money waiting to be accepted to but I put a nick name when I first made a PayPal I didn’t really know what it was now my aunt has sent me money for a car I can not get it off I have to request a name change I just wanted to know how long is the process due to covid 19 customer service not answering any calls can someone help
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.