Name change

Sugarbabyxcx
Contributor
Contributor
I made this account not knowing I had to use my legal name. I didnt want others who sent or requested money to know my legal name, so I used a nickname. When I try to change it, it says I need to show proof that I legally changed my name, but I never legally changed my name. I can’t accept money that was sent to me until I prove my identity. Help!
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sugarbabyxcx 

Sadly its not your money, it belongs to the person who owns that account and can prove it by providing documents that match the name on the paypal account.

Your best bet is to get the person that sent the funds to open a dispute and see if they can recover the funds back again so that they can pay you another way.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

FrankJohnson
Contributor
Contributor

The comment by kernowlass is condescending and unhelpful. There are 2 name change methods and one of them apples to nicknames. See attached picture taken from https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/settings/name/editLegal documents are not required to open an account, therefore legal documents should not be required to use one. I have used PayPal since 2003, having exchanged thousands of dollars over the years, using just my nickname. I only encountered a problem when Coinbase would not connect to my account because the names did not match. If the legality of a name is of profound importance, then PayPal should take the responsibility of only allowing legal names at the outset, using a verification process that prevents this problem to begin with. PayPal's processes and policies surrounding names are badly broken because they hold others to the standard of a bank while holding themselves only to the standard of a convenience store.

paypal.jpg

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FrankJohnson 

Yep seen that loads of times BUT i have yet to find anyone that has actually changed their nickname to their real name on a paypal account.

Even the mods state you can't.

Suggest you read the post from the PAYPAL EMPLOYEE on this thread.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-Account/Is-it-possible-to-change-a-first-quot-fake-quot-name/...

And then speak to all the folks that have posted on here attempting and failing to change their nickname.

Then you can come back and try and say my advice is unhelpful.

Secondly yes a lot of folks have used a nickname for years BUT in the US now personal accounts are being asked for more information which is leading to more folks having to try and change a nickname or have their account limited...........what starts in the US can spread to other countries.

So good luck with your nickname for the future.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.