Name change after marriage — uploaded picture but nothing

Nicolemily
New Community Member
I recently changed my last name when I got married. I have changed it with the province, as well as my bank. When I went to the PayPal settings to change my name, it asked me for my marriage certificate. I took a picture and sent it away. I never heard anything back after 2 weeks. I found it strange that they just wanted my marriage certificate, but didn’t want to know what my new last name actually is. Today, I re-submitted the same picture of my marriage certificate. I also uploaded a picture of my drivers licence/ID, that reflects my new last name. They didn’t specify ID as one of the criteria for changing my name, but it made sense, since my new ID reflects my new last name. Should I expect an email from PayPal? How can they know what my new last name is based only on a marriage certificate? Did anyone else struggle with this? Very frustrated.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

ramberroya
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi, You can change the name on your account (up to 2 characters) if it's misspelled, and only once after creating your PayPal account. It is not possible to change the name on your account to another person's name. If you are making a legal or major name change, you'll be required to upload some documentation as proof of name change. This review usually takes up to 5 business days. Here’s how to change your name: Click the Settings icon next to "Log out." Click Update below your name. Select your type of name change. Follow the instructions on the screen and click either Continue or Update Name. If you have a Business account, you can change the contact name for your business. Thanks. ***If you see a post that is helpful, kindly give the author Kudos or accept it as a solution. Thanks and have a great day! ☺
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.