My password didn't work two days in a row!

dmp1ce
Contributor
Contributor

A password I had used for years didn't work yesterday. So, I reset it, not thinking too much about it. I was able to log in after resetting the password, and my mobile Paypal app could still log in. My account seemed normal besides the password not working.

Today my password didn't work again. I'm sure I recorded it correctly. I am using LastPass. So, I reset the password again.

I am concerned someone has access to my account and keeps changing the password somehow. I have added an authentication app to my account.

What else should I do to protect my account? Could this been a Paypal issue with passwords not working on the web site?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PlayFrame
New Community Member

This has been happening to me the last few weeks too. Been on the messaging service within my account to get help but they've been pretty rubbish at diagnosing anything. Also taken the same precautions of getting 2-step set up with an authenticator on the phone. I've completely reinstalled Windows since then so I can't see how I might have a key-logger.

Have you also been using a password manager (I use the one in Chrome)? Wondering if its Paypal doesn't like them. Or have you recently moved your phone-app to a different phone - I did relatively recently?

I could also time my problems to when I noticed the phone app didn't auto-log-out every time I came out of it.. has Paypal changed its log-in system or something that is causing these problems..

In solidarity with these frustrating and worrying problems..

Login to Me Too

dmp1ce
Contributor
Contributor

I think it is something on the backend casusing the password to invalidate. At least I hope that is all it is.

I do use a password manager, but once I reset my password, the password manager works fine. It doesn't give me much confidence in the security of my account when my password doesn't work every other day.

Login to Me Too

PlayFrame
New Community Member

Yep I totally feel the same. Actually just had this response from PayPal messaging in the account. 

Hi ***. Welcome to PayPal Messaging. My name is *** and I understand your concern regarding the security of the account. Thank you for letting me know about it, I will definitely do my best to help you. Let's make sure you get what you need from this situation.

I already checked your account and there is no suspicious activity going on. Rest assured that your PayPal account is safe and secured. It actually detected a risk that triggered the system that is why it keeps on asking you to reset your password and a way to resolve that concern it will actually require you to set up Second Payment Services Directive (PSD2)

Here is a link on how you can set it up https://www.paypal.com/lu/webapps/mpp/psd2-new

So I'm going to try that (although I thought I had all of them going anyway) see if this happens 'less often'.
Also do you have the same thing that if you go into your account settings (here)
PPproblems1.png
and look to see where you're logged in you're presented with this:

PPproblems2.png

Seems, like you say, they're having some ropey issues on their backend somewhere

Login to Me Too

dmp1ce
Contributor
Contributor

That link didn't work for me.

Screenshot from 2020-10-08 10-09-11.png

Where can you manage where you log in? I couldn't find it in the settings.

Login to Me Too

dmp1ce
Contributor
Contributor
I just received this message from support. "This is a known issue being worked on right now - for reference the ticket number is CSTS23366. There is no ETA but this is a serious issue and should be resolved soon. I've added your account to the ticket as well."
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.