My Account Suddenly Became Chinese...

willowywicca
Contributor
Contributor

As the title says, upon logging in today I found that my many-year old paypal account has somehow been automatically changed to be entirely in chinese now. Please revert it back to english so that I can properly use it again. All login screens, pages within the account etc are all in chinese. My previous payment was to a chinese person, but I've a long history of payments to non-chinese destinations so it seems a bit silly that it would change my language based solely on that..

Anyways, any help in reverting my account to English settings would be greatly appreciated. I did try going through all menu options with google translate but couldn't find any mention of language settings anywhere at all..

Also, is this a sign that my account was hacked? There doesnt seem to be any transactions made which makes me suspect not, but a little concerned nonetheless..

Login to Me Too
87 REPLIES 87

caliphar
New Community Member

This is pretty much the worst customer service issue I have experienced in a long time. The site is in Chinese and yes, I know to right click to translate, but I cannot get it to change permanently. 

I have called the contact number on the site and it too is all Chinese.

I have called numbers suggested in this thread and it is by far the most idiotic automated system in the world.

Suggestion: Have an option to speak to someone right away and not go through 1000 hoops

I just want to completely cancel and erase any trace of my information from PayPal as it has shown itself to be unstable, to say the least, but of'course that is made virtually impossible as well. 

Palpal - your site and customer service is horrible

Login to Me Too

AlexG11
New Community Member

Absolutely the worst customer service I've expereinced in a long time. How can so many people be experiencing this problem and Pay Pal does nothing to prevent this. I can't use the steps provided because it's been so long since I've used pay pal I have to "verify" some things and the options for profile settings and such are not available until I verify this stuff. But i will not try to attempt this while the page is in chinese. The automated phone system is almost useless. Unless you think staying on hold for 45+ minutes is a good use of time. It's unlikely I will ever chose to use pay pal again and if I find out my account was hacked and there are expenses to me I will make sure everyone I do business with (I run a local beef jerky and snack business) knows how vulernable Pay Pal is and how ridiculous this experience was.

Login to Me Too

Vjcd
New Community Member
The language on my mobile PayPal app just turned Chinese and I don't see any setting I can change. Please advise
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jessica

Hi Vjcd,

Thanks for posting in the forum and sorry for the late reply here.  Sorry to hear that this is happening. If the issue is in iOS, the following may help: https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Settings/iOS-app-language/m-p/998999/highlight/true?profil...

Jessica

Login to Me Too

sam5472

I experienced the same problem today.  When I tried to log in I was taken to a site in Chinese.  At first I thought this might be a fake website trying to trick me into giving out my log in information.   On a second thought, if they want to trick me why would they change the language?  Makes no sense.

I logged in and found that everything is in Chinese.  I used a suggestion found here, right click on mouse and choose translate, this is on Chrome. Everything on page is now in English.  My money is safe no funny activities.  I withdrew all my money anyway.  I have always liked Paypal but this bothers me.  I had to spent time looking for a reloution so I can read my acount.  This is crazy.  

There is no edvidence of a hack on Paypal's system.  The best explanation I found is this, the company has webistes in other countries using the local lanuguages.  Somehow my log in was routed to the Chinese Paypal website.  I don't know how it happened since I have never shop from Chinese vendors or websites.         

I logged out and log back in .....everything in English.  Good!  It is routing mt to the English site again.    

Login to Me Too

Frustrated4
New Community Member

I've found one cause for Paypal's homepage defaulting to Taiwan localization / Chinese language on Windows 10/Google Chrome.

When I had the Google PinYin IME installed the issue was persistent.

When I removed Google PinYin IME, the issue was immediately resolved.  I didn't even need to restart Chrome.  Just typed in paypal.com again and it defaulted to English.

Login to Me Too

tigermark2
Contributor
Contributor

I found that when I went to the PayPal home page to log in, the page came up in French instead of English. I call PP support and she told me to go to the bottom of the home page and see what flag was showing in a small image. I then saw that it was the French flag. She had me click on the flag and then select the U.S. flag. This has seemed to fix the problem. Hope it keeps working.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi guys.

Sorry to hear that this has happened on your account. 

If the language hasn't been changed back on your PayPal accounts at this stage, can you please try reaching out to us directly via Twitter @AskPayPal or via
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and we can look into this
further for you.

David.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.