My Account Suddenly Became Chinese...

willowywicca
Contributor
Contributor

As the title says, upon logging in today I found that my many-year old paypal account has somehow been automatically changed to be entirely in chinese now. Please revert it back to english so that I can properly use it again. All login screens, pages within the account etc are all in chinese. My previous payment was to a chinese person, but I've a long history of payments to non-chinese destinations so it seems a bit silly that it would change my language based solely on that..

Anyways, any help in reverting my account to English settings would be greatly appreciated. I did try going through all menu options with google translate but couldn't find any mention of language settings anywhere at all..

Also, is this a sign that my account was hacked? There doesnt seem to be any transactions made which makes me suspect not, but a little concerned nonetheless..

Login to Me Too
87 REPLIES 87

PayPal_Jessica

Hi Karonalady,

Thanks for posting in the forum!

Sorry to hear that you haven't been able to resolve this. It seems like one of the solutions that work for some users was to select your language in this link or  here

If you are still having issues, you can contact us via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK or Twitter: @AskPayPal and we can follow up. 

Jessica

Login to Me Too

jnr177901
New Community Member

I dont used facebook and I should not be forced to contact you on social media to correct a problem on your system...fix my **bleep** account or close it I dont care which as I dont use this stupid thing anyway....and I will be disputing all charges coming to my bank from you from this point on including a charge supposedly from microsoft that came to my attention in a chinese e-mail

Login to Me Too

HungryJack
Contributor
Contributor

I figured out a way to fix this issue. The steps are as follows:

1. You have to log in to your account and go to the bottom where it says classic view. (you might have to hit the settings cog, to see classic view as an option at the bottom, classic view was not written in chinese, it was English)

2. You have to get to the actual classic view that matches the youtube video I will reference.

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLrK10FE4o

4. I had to keep playing with different options in chinese until I got my screen to look like it does in the video. Then I followed his steps by copying what he was doing. This allowed me to get to the change languane preferences screen. I can't tell you the exact steps of how I initally got to where he started, but I just kept playing around until I go there.

5. After I changed this, it didn't change it for my entire paypal. The wallet and home screen were still in chinese. I had to go in to the browser settings, for me it was Safari, delete the cookies and saved data for the browser. After I did this, I closed out of the browser completely, opened the browser again, went to paypal, signed in and it was fixed.

I hope this helps.  

Login to Me Too

Annette21
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you I will try it.
Login to Me Too

Timmypstyle
Contributor
Contributor
Help! Mine is Chinese too. Tried everything suggested. Also missing $10 that was paid according to ebay but don't have info for the 4 payments on my paypal. Ebay has the time and date they were paid but paypal has nothing and nothing pending either. Also somehow one payment should have been $4.00 but was paid as $3.58. What the **bleep** is going on with paypal? Is this what we get after the ebay split? The only thing not in Chinese is the app. Any Web page is in Chinese. I emailed support about my account possibly being hacked days ago and got no reply. And all these solutions are funny. You are suggesting for people to call paypal or click on the contact us button.....what part of "its in Chinese" don't you understand?
Login to Me Too

cflam0625
Contributor
Contributor

After you log on your Paypal account, on the top of toolbar, you may see an icon "settings". Sorry I can't attach a picture here. After you click on the Settings icon, look for the Chinese (supposed it's Simplified Chinese) characters like this "账户选项". Then click on "语言", on the pull-down-menu, click on it and search until you see "English". Save it and it's done. Good luck!

Login to Me Too

Klitch

This worked, I found these symbols on the left hand side towards the bottom.

@cflam0625 wrote:

After you log on your Paypal account, on the top of toolbar, you may see an icon "settings". Sorry I can't attach a picture here. After you click on the Settings icon, look for the Chinese (supposed it's Simplified Chinese) characters like this "账户选项". Then click on "语言", on the pull-down-menu, click on it and search until you see "English". Save it and it's done. Good luck!

GFYS PayPal, **bleep** move kind of like MICROSOFT trying to force windows 10 upgrade on those who didn't notice the "optional" upgrade was preselected. WTF is wrong with you?

Login to Me Too

HungryJack
Contributor
Contributor

As I re-read my answer earlier, I noticed i left out a KEY point when I got mine fixed. I understand that everything is written in Chinese, but down at the bottom there are three options, one of them which is "legal", which I believe is the middle option, after selecting this option it brings you to a new screen. There is a drop down that allows you to choose english. After selecting english, you can then click the paypal emblem at the top and it will take you to your home overview screen which should be in english. Beware however, if you click on any other options in your summary, such as cards, it will go back to chinese. It will also turn back to chinese when you click the cog to go to the settings, however, "classic view" when you go into the settings, if I remember right is still written in english. If not, its at the bottom left in big blue letters. If you follow my first posts steps, it will fix the issue. I have logged in numerous times since fixing it and it has not changed back to chinese. 

Login to Me Too

neuroflare
Contributor
Contributor

This hasn't been solved for me at all, my browser cache is cleared every time I close a site and cookies are dropped when I restart my browser.  PayPal is about to lose my biz if it isn't fixed

Login to Me Too

Rapunzel_
New Community Member

Clearing the cookie cache did not work for me. Here is what I did:  

Go to the URL field at the top of your browser.  I am using Windows 8/Chrome.

Enter the word   Paypal   in the url field...that's right...in the url field.  Click enter, or search.

Google will then produce Paypal as a search result.

I clicked on the first search result, which was Paypal.com.  It had a little orange "AD" box to the left, indicating that Paypal advertises on Google.

Enter your log-in info as usual, and always remember, change your password every 3 months!

Hope this helps!  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.