My Account Suddenly Became Chinese...

willowywicca
Contributor
Contributor

As the title says, upon logging in today I found that my many-year old paypal account has somehow been automatically changed to be entirely in chinese now. Please revert it back to english so that I can properly use it again. All login screens, pages within the account etc are all in chinese. My previous payment was to a chinese person, but I've a long history of payments to non-chinese destinations so it seems a bit silly that it would change my language based solely on that..

Anyways, any help in reverting my account to English settings would be greatly appreciated. I did try going through all menu options with google translate but couldn't find any mention of language settings anywhere at all..

Also, is this a sign that my account was hacked? There doesnt seem to be any transactions made which makes me suspect not, but a little concerned nonetheless..

Login to Me Too
87 REPLIES 87

Ben_Wh

I have the same problem. Beginning at just after midnight on Dec. 10th, 2015, I got two emails from service (at) paypal (dot) com which were in Chinese, except for the PayPal name and my own name (in English).

Today, I've received another email, also from service (at) paypal (dot) com , and also in Chinese.

I don't speak or read Chinese. I'm American, I speak Engiish. I can speak a couple of other languages with some degree of fluency. I don't speak Chinese, though. A few times, I've made Ebay purchases from Chinese vendors, and at least once on Amazon from what turned out to be a Chinese vendor. But any and all of those have been over one or two months ago. At the time, there didn't seem to be any problem with these.

Today, when I tried to login to PayPal to see what's going on, the home page shows in English as it should, but when I try to login, it comes up in Chinese, entirely. 

I will try the suggestion above. But this feels strongly as if something somewhere regarding my account settings has been hacked.

It's been over a month, I think, since I last had a PayPal transaction. I really, really hope there's not any strange activity, not from me, going on that would affect either my PayPal account, or worse, my regular bank account, which really is not exactly rich.

I can't afford an identity theft problem or a hacked account in PayPal. Not good at all, even to be uncertain about this.

I hope the suggestion above works and I can straighten this out and be sure my account is safe. This is awful. There shouldn't be any way that my information could have been accessed, except by some outside source that would've accessed many other people along with my information. Ugh.

Login to Me Too

Pamelahobbs
Contributor
Contributor

My account has suddenly become German other than my name.

any suggestions?

Login to Me Too

Newt_Salamander
Contributor
Contributor

I have this problem:

The displayed pages are not chinese, but my DOWNLOADED history files (that I need to run my business) are DOWNLOADED in a pictograph-character language that looks like CHINESE.

No other problem with page displays or anything else.  I've tried all the helps suggested on the internet and in this thread.

PAYPAL idiotically still gives me "cvs" files of my historical data in CHINESE. 

Are the programers completely inept?  There can be no good reason to do this.  What a fiasco...  I'm spending hours of my valuable time **bleep** around with a website that I should not even notice.

FIX THIS you Fools or I will find another payment service.  At this point I'm PayPal by habit...  but now I'm going to go look at Amazon Payments or some other BETTER, LESS MADDENING website.

FIX THIS NOW or Kiss you 6% goodbye PayPal.

Login to Me Too

urkey82
New Community Member

Can you screenshot or somehow tell me what to click.  I can't find where you change language.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jessica

Hi Urkey82,

Thanks for posting in the forum. The below may help:

Click the profile and settings button beside "Log out" (退出) 
In the "Account options" (账户选项) section click Edit (编辑) beside "Language" (语言) 
Select your preferred language. 

Can you please give it a try?

Thanks,

Jessica

Login to Me Too

IsabelC
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there.  I have the same issue, where I have actually changed the flag page but all the other account information is still stuck on Chinese.  I am sick of it.  I've tried going though all the tabs in chinese and can't seem to change the settings still...

How has everyone else gone?

Isabel

Login to Me Too

Twirlytaz
I haven’t logged into my PayPal account in years and when I tried to log back into it everything is in Chinese I would like to just close my account can somebody please help me. I am not able to close it because I cannot read Chinese.
Login to Me Too

peterwoos
New Community Member

Thanks for the feedback, it worked

Login to Me Too

hamiltonquinn
New Community Member

I can't click on "contact us" because I can't read it! Can you change my account backk to English?

Login to Me Too

cflam0625
Contributor
Contributor

After you log on your Paypal account, on the top of toolbar, you may see an icon "settings". Sorry I can't attach a picture here. After you click on the Settings icon, look for the Chinese (supposed it's Simplified Chinese) characters like this "账户选项". Then click on "语言", on the pull-down-menu, click on it and search until you see "English". Save it and it's done. Good luck!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.