My Account Suddenly Became Chinese...

willowywicca
Contributor
Contributor

As the title says, upon logging in today I found that my many-year old paypal account has somehow been automatically changed to be entirely in chinese now. Please revert it back to english so that I can properly use it again. All login screens, pages within the account etc are all in chinese. My previous payment was to a chinese person, but I've a long history of payments to non-chinese destinations so it seems a bit silly that it would change my language based solely on that..

Anyways, any help in reverting my account to English settings would be greatly appreciated. I did try going through all menu options with google translate but couldn't find any mention of language settings anywhere at all..

Also, is this a sign that my account was hacked? There doesnt seem to be any transactions made which makes me suspect not, but a little concerned nonetheless..

Login to Me Too
87 REPLIES 87

bechong

i found the legal stuff at bottom and change it to my lanuage and that worked to get it back to english https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/legalhub-full a

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Conor

Hi bechong,

Welcome to our Community and thanks for sharing the solution that worked for you 🙂

I'm sure it will be much appreciated by our other members.

Conor

Login to Me Too

rfung
New Community Member

I found another solution.  This problem only shows up in Chrome for me, and not in Firefox.

In Chrome, go into Settings > Show Advanced Settings, click on the Language button.

Delete any unwanted languages.  Close all Chrome windows, restart, and Paypal should load only in English (or your desired default language.

Hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

andrewleyfamily
New Community Member

The language settings in Chrome worked for me, too! Not sure how Chinese ever got on that list in the first place. And the problem has occured on multiple computers, so I wonder if there isn't a bug in Paypal somewhere that is tweaking that setting.

Login to Me Too

Ozzmanic1

My payplay is also in Chimese and I can not find out to change it back. I first got a notifaction of payment to Microsoft in Chinese. Could I please get this fixed.

Login to Me Too

animaetrix00
New Community Member

My account also has suddenly become Chinese and nothing seems to be fixing it in Firefox for me. Help! it even emailed me in Chinese!

Login to Me Too

dabbleduke
New Community Member

For whatever reason your language has been chagned. when you log in, there should be a "gear" in the top right corner of the screen.  If you click that it will take you to your setting page... however you will not be able to read it because like mine, it will be in chinese. But on the left side of the page you should be able to read your address in English. Scroll down just below that and still on the left but towards the middle of the page there should be some chinese you can click on, I believe it is in blue. From there, there should be a drop down menu where you can change your language back to English. Hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

Kheldar
New Community Member

This happened to me as well and while I can change it to English in the settings. It it still reverting back to Chinese letters once I log out and log-in again.

I have tried changing the languages in the browser, etc.  We will see if they ever get this fixed. It's pretty obvious that paypal is having an issue with not keeping your home language.  I am not sure the result, but I sure thought paypals accounts had been hacked. I would suggest they get fixed quickly before  some news organisation makes an issue of it.

Login to Me Too

Kheldar
New Community Member

Of course this is fixed as soon as I posted it.

Login to Me Too

Karonalady

I'm having the same problem!  And then when I come to this forum, and see someone else who has had their problem solved, I clock on "Go to the solution" and it doesn't take me to any solution! 

Help!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.