My Account Suddenly Became Chinese...

willowywicca
Contributor
Contributor

As the title says, upon logging in today I found that my many-year old paypal account has somehow been automatically changed to be entirely in chinese now. Please revert it back to english so that I can properly use it again. All login screens, pages within the account etc are all in chinese. My previous payment was to a chinese person, but I've a long history of payments to non-chinese destinations so it seems a bit silly that it would change my language based solely on that..

Anyways, any help in reverting my account to English settings would be greatly appreciated. I did try going through all menu options with google translate but couldn't find any mention of language settings anywhere at all..

Also, is this a sign that my account was hacked? There doesnt seem to be any transactions made which makes me suspect not, but a little concerned nonetheless..

Login to Me Too
87 REPLIES 87

Ben_Wh

When I attempt to login to PayPal, it's in English. But when I enter my email and password and press enter, it comes up with a screen in Chinese.

On the left, under what appears to be the PayPal logo, is a string of Chinese:

为帮助保障您的账户安全,我们会定期查找潜在欺诈活动的早期迹象。

Google Translate tells me this says:

To help protect your account security, we regularly look for early signs of potential fraud activity.

To the right is a headline and text in Chinese:

我们担心存在潜在的未经授权活动 

确认您的身份后,我们会指导您完成一些步骤来确保您的账户更加安全。

为安全起见,我们想要确保这是您的账户。

Google Translate tells me this says:

We are concerned that there is a potential unauthorized activity

Confirm your identity, we will guide you through a few steps to ensure that your account more secure.

For safety reasons, we want to make sure that this is your account.

There is a command button with two Chinese glyphs that won't copy, probably something like OK or Continue.

Below this are three links:

Google Translate says these are:

Contact Safety Exit

I cannot see any link or right-click menu item that lets me change language settings. 

There is a header at the top of the page that seems to be a toolbar with the PayPal logo on the top-left. When I click that, it takes me back to the PayPal home page, in English, but I'm not logged in and can't change anything.

I don't see any need to go through confirming my identity on a Chinese-language page, even if it's a valid PayPal page. I'm an American user who does not speak Chinese. I definitely did not change my language settings to Chinese or anything else. I've checked on Ebay, and I don't have any recent activity there, and it's in English as it should be.

I cannot reach a page in English to get a phone number for PayPal support either.

This is a very effective way to keep the legitimate customers out of their own accounts while someone from another country (or within the US?) could have time to do what they want to many people's accounts, or potentially to PayPal itself. Not good, folks. I certainly don't want to be charged for anything going through PayPal on my account, from at least Dec. 10th and 11th, until this is resolved.

More to the point, how do I reach a point where I can change the language back to English and, if necessary, confirm that I am in fact the person who owns my account, up to and including changing my password, if needed? If the problem's severe enough, I'd consider cancelling my PayPal account and starting over...at some point several days or weeks from now, if ever.

Also to the point: There ought to be a link, highly visible, to change languages, written in (at least) both English and Chinese, or how about the ten most common world languages? That way, if it gets set wrong, a user can easily change back, without having to take a wild guess, or without having any way to access what's rightfully, legitimately, their information as a valid customer.

Just what has happened that would cause this? Is it some broad change? Is it a hack? I sure hope not, for all our sakes.

All I want is to get my account back in order and to know my account (including my bank account) is safe.

Login to Me Too

satelliteDave
Contributor
Contributor

It hasn't been resolved for me.  Emails are still coming in in Chinese from PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Speeritwoman
Contributor
Contributor
YES!!!! My account pages are in english when I log in but if I use a link during ordering and all my emails are still in chinese!
Login to Me Too

bconlan
New Community Member

Care to share how you've 'solved' it?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Conor

Hi JakeP123, satelliteDave, TKwill & bconlan,

Thank you all for posting. 

This is a strange one and sounds like a technical problem to me.

Would you consider reaching out to us on Facebook or Twitter so we can pass your accounts onto our engineers to investigate? I'm afraid we don't have access to your details on the community forum, you see.

We are available 24/7 to answer private messages sent through our Facebook page (http://goo.gl/4BO8de) and respond swiftly to any tweets directed towards @AskPayPal!

Why don't you give this a try, as I'd really like to get to the bottom of what's happening here.

Conor

Login to Me Too

tajscharles
New Community Member

well mine is stil in chinese.  i thought you resolved this problem.  I am not purchasing anything with chinese wriitng on it.  i have had this paypal account since about 2002

Login to Me Too

mr_burks
New Community Member

my account is completely in chinese. can this be resolved?

Login to Me Too

WMorton
Contributor
Contributor

IT HAS NOT been solved!!!

Login to Me Too

Bobgregg101
Contributor
Contributor

How did this get resolved?

Login to Me Too

Bobgregg101
Contributor
Contributor

HOW was this resolved?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.