Merging personal and business accounts

TJC3
Contributor
Contributor
I have two different PayPal accounts one personal and one for business but since both accounts are linked with my name people paying me money often end up posting payments to the wrong account somehow (i ran into this problem today) is there anyway to just merge the two? This created havoc today and I'd like to avoid this issue in tje future, it looks unprofessional and is concerning to customers when It doesn't appear that I have my own accounts situated. Thanks for any input
Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
It's recommended to keep separate accounts for Personal and Business just like you would bank accounts.

The name on the account shouldn't be causing any confusion at all. People can't send payments with just your name.

The different accounts must have separate email addresses, so you just need to make sure people know which email to send the payment to.

Of course, if you send them a money request or PayPal invoice, or if you setup payment buttons on your website, then they could use that and payments would always go to the correct place.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

TJC3
Contributor
Contributor
I absolutely agree with your assessment but the issue i ran into today was someone sent me a payment via Facebook, now somehow that payment ended up being linked with my buisnees account email yet the payment posted to my personal account so when i tried to transfer the funds to my bank account i kept receiving an error message because my bank account is linked to my business account; it was all very confusing and incredibly frustrating. It kept asking me to verify my email so when i contacted customer service they verified the email attached to the buisnees account instead of my private account, then for whatever reason they couldn't even see that I had two accounts etc etc, I would just like to merge the two into one so this never happens again. I use both email accounts frequently and having to remember wich one is attached to wich account is just annoying. Is there any reasonable solution to this problem? Has anyone else ever had a similar problem?
Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
There's no way a payment made to the email associated with one account would drop into a separate account.

Your Facebook account must have both of your email addresses configured on it..?? You would need to look into that on the Facebook side.

Login to Me Too

TJC3
Contributor
Contributor
Yes! Exactly and aside from removing one of those addresses from fb (which i dont want to do as most of my business is generated via fb) im not sure how to rectify that issue, is it unreasonable to assume PayPal would have an account that could serve as both a personal and business account? You could toggle between accounts via the dropdown menu that way both email addresses would be associated with one account and when PayPal receives a deposit request it would delineate which account to credit. It really doesn't seem all that complicated, im a novice code writer but this seems like a few lines of code could make this happen and save someone like me a massive headache as something that should have taken 30 seconds ended up taking 2 hours today, 2 hours that i wasnt making money.
Login to Me Too

not_here

Hi @TJC3,

Can you submit a ticket with Merchant Technical Support to research why a payment made to your business account went into your personal account. This doesn't sound like normal behavior and they will be able to fully research this issue. 

Once done, you can post your ticket number here and I will follow up internally to move the resolution along. 

Thanks,

Christina 

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Login to Me Too

TJC3
Contributor
Contributor
Absolutely that would be wonderful because i feel like this is definitely going to happen again im actually surprised it hasn't happened before now.
Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
@not_here I really don't think that's what happened. It sounds like she has both email addresses included in her FB account, and people are simply using one she doesn't want them using.

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Well, yeah, that is a little unreasonable to assume they would have a single account acting as both Personal and Business.  Just like a bank account, you can only have one or the other.

What types of transactions you run through an account of any type is up to you and your bookkeeping procedures.  In general, it's not good to have both personal and business transactions going through a single account of any type.

I think you need to focus more on the Facebook side.  If you have people submitting payments to you through FB then it needs to be clear how they can do that correctly.  You could setup specific links or buttons that are associated with the account you want people to be using, or link to a page of your own where somebody could choose a drop down like you're saying, and specify what they're paying for so that you can steer the money accordingly.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.