MFA - No access to old number

Serlyub
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have an issue with accessing account. I went to access my PayPal account which I have not accessed in months just to realise I cannot get in. Every time it asks me to authenticate using my old number (for which my contract ran out the other month and I did not keep the number).

-The only two options I have are: Send text or call the number.

-When choosing try different way it bring me back to the two options above only.

-Unable to chat to PayPal agent online as it asks me to login.

-Tried calling customer support and was advised to use the chat online as lines are closed.

-Also tried to do a password reset which also fails as it asks to verify via number.

I do have access to my email which is associated with the account.

Can someone please advise how this can be resolved. Thank you in advance.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Serlyub 

Try:

1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.

2. Use the forgotten password option several times.

3. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).

4. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.

5. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.

6. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

7. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Serlyub
Contributor
Contributor
@kernowlass Thank you so much for the detailed steps. I have been trying for a few days and after nearly giving up I called paypal again and after using phrase "Speak to a representative" when asked what am I calling about I managed to get throught to a PayPal agent who completed security checks and updated my number. Could not be more happier to get access to my funds 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.