Logging into my account without my mobile phone

EmptyBucket
Contributor
Contributor

Note: This is not my usual account, I've made a new one to ask this question.

So I've (temporarily) lost access to my mobile phone (for the next 2 weeks) and wish to log into my Paypal account, however there is no option to receive a code via e-mail; how would I go about doing this?

I've e-mailed their support twice (through this link) and the first time, I was given a copy-paste message that was meaningless to me. The second time, however, I was told that they left me a message in my 'Message Centre' Inbox which, of course, I cannot access.

Thanks,

~ Dawood

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

Inojim
Contributor
Contributor

I guess I'm a 'me too' also on this, but not because I lost my phone, I simply don't have one.  On the PayPal login page, once you enter your ID and password, you're then prompted to add a mobile number.  If  you don't have one, that's as far as you get.  Used to be there was a 'skip this step' option on the page, but no more.  So despite the fact that mobile phones are ubiquitous, there must be a solution for the Luddites among us who limp through life without one.

I was urged by one Help Agent to simply change my password, but that didn't help, of course.  HELP!

Login to Me Too

FrustratedLady
Contributor
Contributor

Not a single notification from them to let customers know or even give them a choice between a regular phone notification (I have a land line, just no cell). 

And to top off the frustration, because I did such a good job of being a contributing member (because I liked all the similar responses) they decided to award me a blow it up you're hind end badge of friendliness...  Going to have to look for an alternative.  Completely inappropriate & unacceptable.

Login to Me Too

FrustratedLady
Contributor
Contributor

And then they throw salt in the wounds...not moments after I posted the above I got an email at 1243 am stating they were making it easier for me to "check out":  Since we recognize this device, we'll automatically log you in so you can skip typing your password at checkout.

For your security, we may occasionally ask for you to log in with your password.

So I'd have to order something to be able to get access to my account, whereby they have completely waived password security, and lookie mom - no phone number needed - just because they think I'm on the device their system says I'm on.  If they can do this, they can send me an email to confirm log-in.  Then, sometimes they may ask for me to log in with my password that doesn't work because I don't have a cell phone.  Who is running the asylum?

Login to Me Too

1bogie
Contributor
Contributor

I can't log in to my account without a mobile phone number. I don't have a mobile phone. I called paypal and the person I talked to tried to help, but said that at this time I would have to have a mobile number. I guess I either have to buy a mobile phone and service to go with it, or I'll have to cancel the credit cards I have on account at paypal and move on to another paypal type service. I'm NOT GOING TO put out the money for a cell phone just so I can log in to my paypal account.

Login to Me Too

iuki66
Contributor
Contributor

I just did this:   went to the log on page.  Pressed  on NOT YOU.  Was taken to page that lets you log onto your account from there.....no phone number, etc.  Just you same old password.  Hope it works for you.../

Login to Me Too

GreatTree

This happened to me as well -- I don't have a cell. I called PayPal -- first try - was hung up on after being on hold for 15 mins. On 2nd try, the agent said I had the same phone number (landline) listed for both mobile and home. So he changed the info on my account and I was able to log in. So try calling them if you're in this predicament. All the best !

Login to Me Too

Winefred
Contributor
Contributor

what is their number, I can not find it

Login to Me Too

me721
Contributor
Contributor
pay pal wants to use my old phone number to send me a text. ibdont have that number anymore i changed it in my profile.
Login to Me Too

Chickens11
New Community Member

I don't have a mobile number either.  Very strange to require this. Guess Paypal doesn't want us as customers.  There are plenty of ways to secure the account without requiring everyone to own a mobile phone.  Well, on to Google Pay...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.