Locked out of my main account because of mobile number change. Can't fix because no phone support.

axmv
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys, I'm locked out of my main account and I'm not sure how to fix it.

I changed my phone number a few months before this COVID-19 outbreak and didn't update my Paypal details.

I get a text notification every time I try and log into my account. Obviously I can't log into my main account because I have a new number.

The only option PayPal is giving me in terms of logging in is a text-verification, so I can't do much.

I've tried to send an email to support but I can't read them because the emails tell me to log into my PayPal account to view them.

I've tried to send one again specifically stating to email the message to me directly instead of having to view it within Paypal. No hope.

I've tried to call support twice within two-ish weeks and due to the COVID-19 shortage of staff, my call gets cut off after I sit and listen to the bot speak for a few minutes.

I need to access my account and I hope someone can help me through this.

Many thanks

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Sharingiscaring
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi @axmv,

Welcome to the Paypal Community!

I've found this article that may be able to shed some light to the matter:

https://www.paypal.com/au/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-reset-my-paypal-password-if-i've-forgotten-it-f...

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

axmv
Contributor
Contributor

hi @Sharingiscaring, every solution found inside the post does not help me in this situation.

I only have the option of "sending a text message" when trying to choose from a different login method.

The text message that is sent goes straight to my old number. I don't have access to this number anymore.

Login to Me Too

tomgn
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem, no way to get to my account and pay pal customer service number is not working at all.

Login to Me Too

Rivie40300
Contributor
Contributor

Here’s the number for PayPal support <removed> in the United States I had to write because they removed the number when I put in in numbers format I had the same issue my account was linked to an old phone number that they were sending a verification code too. I called the above number and spoke with a PayPal rep and got the issue fixed. They removed my old phone and added my new phone to my account.

Login to Me Too

tomgn
Contributor
Contributor

cant see the number space it out between numbers please

Login to Me Too

Rivie40300
Contributor
Contributor
Here’s the number for PayPal suppor[Removed. Phone #s not permitted] I had the same issue my account was linked to an old phone number that they were sending a verification code too. I called the above number and spoke with a PayPal rep and got the issue fixed. They removed my old phone and added my new phone to my account.
Login to Me Too

apt_103
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like our only option here is to wait until the CS center opens again. I don't understand why this cannot be taken care of using the instant messaging tool. The paypal agents on the IM tool, more than once, refer me to the CS center knowing that it's closed. I just want my money from that account. More protections have only led reduced access to accounts, for me the account holder, in my experience. Given the option in the future, I'll do without 2-step verification. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.