Locked out of my account completely, can't even call customer service.

kell96
Contributor
Contributor
Let me first say that I am logged in on an old account I forgot I had, and its the only way I can even type this because you all clearly have a system that was not made prepared for having no phone lines. This is also the second time I've had to post this thread as it seems to go ignored. Yesterday I got money on my paypal after selling some belongings. Set up a new phone number on my PayPal and tried to link my work preload card(its a USBank card so I assumed it would work). After multiple attempts I gave up on it and was going to transfer said money to a friends bank account instead and get it from her. Now all of a sudden my account is locked down and I cannot touch any of the info on it(as if paypal isn't "secure" enough with how much you have to log in". So I decide to call. Alright cool, what is essentially a BANK has closed every single one of their phone lines so you can't contact them. Fine, a little ridiculous but I understand you want employees safe. I'll just message instead! Then begins the longest, most grueling customer service experience I have ever had. This person, Mila, dodged my questions multiple multiple times about what the issue is, even going so far as to tell me to go to walmart or send the money back to the buyer and have them pay me another way. I'd love to post my conversation with this very unprofessional person who very clearly did not know what they were doing(told me my account was locked because of an "incident" with the system, then never explains what he or she is even saying) but of course for "security" reasons I could not take any screenshots of the conversation. Finally they end up telling me my accounts locked from transferring money and just will be until the system clears it. Yeah, great, sure. Guess I'll cave and go to Walmart, get my money(which Mila told me I could still do) and just go home and relax(at this point it was already 5pm and I started this process at 9am). Get to walmart after ending the conversation and go to log in(now on my phones data). And now I can't even log in. "Sorry we don't recognize you" which is the scummiest wording too honestly. At this point I'm enraged, I try my friends phone, locked out, try a tablet, locked out. Changing my connections locked me out of the account because it looked suspicious. What in the world are you doing paypal?! I go home defeated, and log in to try messaging a different employee. Locked out. Cannot access the account at all, can't even view messages. I give up for the day after writing a stern email to paypal. Now we fast forward to today, paypal has just emailed me. And on this email I'm told to LOG IN AND VIEW THEIR RESPONSE ON MY PAYPAL. ....HOW? What are they thinking?! This is not how customer service works! I email you about how I'm locked out of my account and you guys won't let me call you, and so you respond by sending a message to the locked account? I'm more upset because it actually feels like you're personally messing with me. It really really does. So I guess my question is: am I just stranded now financially until the phone lines are back up? My moneys just in limbo? /rant
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kell96 

You do realize, that unless you actually on the blower with an actual person, you're dealing with software and algorithms based customer service. Are you locked out because you forgot password or something? Or your update of mobile number didn't work? Or can't reset password? If password is fine, then yes, too many failed attempts of anything will trigger security system to protect itself and even lock you out of the account for a few hours to having to wait days for the system to reset/cool down and then ya have carefully try again, once, to log in to see if it still give error message and then back off the account. Do not do rapid fire login attempts. The more you do it and failing the longer it takes to reset security. Just leave account alone for a few or several days even as buffer zone and then try to log on once. Maybe even clear browser cache/cookies and restart your device before trying.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.