Locked out of my account Paypal won't help.

Wasdcantmove
New Community Member

I am currently locked out of my Paypal account, although in a rather unique way.

I am from the UK normally, and I moved to Hong Kong approximately 1.5 years ago. I have been using Paypal to receive some payments, and pay for things like UBER. Everything has been fine and I've enjoyed using the platform.

Fast forward to present day and I try to log into Paypal via the app, like I usually do and I am now being asked to verify my account via a text message, or by being called. As you can probably guess - I don't have access to the number I used to have in the UK because I live in Hong Kong now.. You would think they have a recovery system for when the number is lost, phone is stolen for example? This seems extremely obvious to me and just a very very bad UX.

I had to make a NEW account based in Hong Kong as this is the only option I have to communicate with Paypal as they require an account just to contact support. After explaining the situation I was given the following response:

"UA
Hello XXXX, I apologize for the inconvenience caused. I see that the email address: belongs to a different country PayPal account. Hence I request you to visit the website based on the country and contact the local PayPal customer support.

Kindly let me know if you any query related to your HK PayPal account. Feel free to reply whenever you're ready and we'll reply as soon as we can."

Now I'm just stuck if support can't help me I am locked out of my account forever.

Could someone at Paypal get me some help please? This is completely ludicrous that I even have this issue in the first place..

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Wasdcantmove 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts / cancel any subscriptions and close the old Paypal account before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.