Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked out due to 2 step authentication

Highlighted
Contributor

Locked out due to 2 step authentication

Greetings,

I had 2 step authentication set up some time ago, however I reset my phone some time ago and didn't use Paypal in a while, but now when I needed to perform a transaction I found myself being locked out  of the system, since I can't provide a 6 digit code from the authentication app after the mentioned reset. Most of the communication methods I tried required me to log into the system, which I couldn't do, Paypal's phones are down due to COVID-19, and I somehow managed to have a live chat with a consultant on Friday night, but his attempts to disable 2 step authentication failed, and the last thing he did was provide me with a password reset link, which opened in the same window, which closed the chat and I never saw the chat button being enabled again.
So, question - with all Paypal's communications down and me unable to either log in, or recover my authenticator codes, is there a way to get access to my account, or the only thing I can do is wait until Paypal reopens after COVID-19 is gone?
P.S.: Yes, I had to create another account to write a message here.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Contributor

2 step

• the same thing has happened to me. I can not access my account because of my stupid 2 step.

It least I ll ll able to access in about 2 weeks. The time it's gonna take to replace my phone.

Highlighted
New Community Member

Re: Locked out due to 2 step authentication

The same happened to me, for some reason the 6 digit code from my app autthenticator failed, so I decided to unistall it and due  to COVID-19 customer service is closed, there is no way to restore the qr code account in the authentication app,  they should enable something so that we disable the 2 step verificaction.

Highlighted
Contributor

I am in the same boat. I have no access to my account whatsoever. I had to set up another account just to post on this forum. 

Highlighted

Same here 

An account that I was using for almost 20 years now I'm unable to access due to suddenly a 2step authentication account stop recognizing me.

I change my phone  but after changes, I tested the new phone and added google authenticator - was working fine

Then suddenly 6 digits code not correct...

Paypal have no procedure atm to recover access from this situation.   I have to create another account to get support and they cannot find help for me (I spend 1h with support to figure out what to do).

So I can't access, I cant lock the account, I can't delete   - this is ... surrealistic   atm

OLO

Highlighted
Contributor

I was finally able to solve this problem. I needed to get to a more experienced consultant, and he had to be actually available on the phone amidst the COVID-19 situation. So, about 15 minutes later - the 2FA was removed from my account and I was able to log into it. However it took some attempts, and I had to use the URL sent to me by the consultant in a browser that doesn't have any other PayPal accounts logged in, because then I was trying to get into the secondary account that I created in order to start any live communication with PayPal.
So, all in all - have patience, wait for a live available consultant, and your problems will be solved. There is no other way. Good luck!