Locked out due to 2 step authentication

EXTREEM
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings,

I had 2 step authentication set up some time ago, however I reset my phone some time ago and didn't use Paypal in a while, but now when I needed to perform a transaction I found myself being locked out  of the system, since I can't provide a 6 digit code from the authentication app after the mentioned reset. Most of the communication methods I tried required me to log into the system, which I couldn't do, Paypal's phones are down due to COVID-19, and I somehow managed to have a live chat with a consultant on Friday night, but his attempts to disable 2 step authentication failed, and the last thing he did was provide me with a password reset link, which opened in the same window, which closed the chat and I never saw the chat button being enabled again.
So, question - with all Paypal's communications down and me unable to either log in, or recover my authenticator codes, is there a way to get access to my account, or the only thing I can do is wait until Paypal reopens after COVID-19 is gone?
P.S.: Yes, I had to create another account to write a message here.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

edwarr139
Contributor
Contributor
  • the same thing has happened to me. I can not access my account because of my stupid 2 step.

It least I ll ll able to access in about 2 weeks. The time it's gonna take to replace my phone.

Login to Me Too

Csimanca
New Community Member

The same happened to me, for some reason the 6 digit code from my app autthenticator failed, so I decided to unistall it and due  to COVID-19 customer service is closed, there is no way to restore the qr code account in the authentication app,  they should enable something so that we disable the 2 step verificaction.

Login to Me Too

ESavage
Contributor
Contributor

I am in the same boat. I have no access to my account whatsoever. I had to set up another account just to post on this forum. 

Login to Me Too

OLOski

Same here 

An account that I was using for almost 20 years now I'm unable to access due to suddenly a 2step authentication account stop recognizing me.

I change my phone  but after changes, I tested the new phone and added google authenticator - was working fine

Then suddenly 6 digits code not correct...

Paypal have no procedure atm to recover access from this situation.   I have to create another account to get support and they cannot find help for me (I spend 1h with support to figure out what to do).

So I can't access, I cant lock the account, I can't delete   - this is ... surrealistic   atm

OLO

Login to Me Too

EXTREEM
Contributor
Contributor

I was finally able to solve this problem. I needed to get to a more experienced consultant, and he had to be actually available on the phone amidst the COVID-19 situation. So, about 15 minutes later - the 2FA was removed from my account and I was able to log into it. However it took some attempts, and I had to use the URL sent to me by the consultant in a browser that doesn't have any other PayPal accounts logged in, because then I was trying to get into the secondary account that I created in order to start any live communication with PayPal.
So, all in all - have patience, wait for a live available consultant, and your problems will be solved. There is no other way. Good luck!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.