Living abroad, can´t verify mobile

jthebox
New Community Member

Hi

I´ve been using paypal since 2003 however today I was unable to make a transaction for an online service.  There was no error message, I was just taken to a page which asked me to verify a mobile number.  I assume that is why the payment did not go through though I´m not 100% certain. 

I have never required to link a mobile number before.  Now that I spend most of my time abroad I don´t have a UK number, however payment details have not changed.

How can  I use paypal without a mobile number?  What´s changed, what´s all the fuss about a mobile number?

thanks for taking the time to help.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jthebox

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / and bank accounts from within that country.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

bigloaf
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar but worse problem in that I live where there is NO MOBILE SERVICE

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Randy

@bigloaf,

I recommend contacting our customer service teams for further assistance if you're still seeing this issue on your end.  You can click 'Contact Us' at the bottom of any of our pages to get a phone number to reach us at, or you can contact us on Twitter (https://twitter.com/askpaypal) or Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/PayPal). We would be happy to take a look at what options might be available to you.

- Randy

Login to Me Too

bigloaf
Contributor
Contributor

Randy thanks for the assistance but I am profoundly deaf

I have to use email

how do I contact the powers that be by email

apprcaiating your concern

Login to Me Too

bigloaf
Contributor
Contributor

ALSO

I am 80 myears old and have no idea what a twitter is ...

email I can do

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Randy

@bigloaf,

If you're unable to reach out to the customer service teams over the phone, please contact us on Twitter (https://twitter.com/askpaypal) or Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/PayPal).  Unfortunately, there isn't a direct email address that can be provided over the Community.    

- Randy

Login to Me Too

bigloaf
Contributor
Contributor

I repeat that I don't know anything about twitter and I certainly have never managed to facegram or instabook anything

I an a retired 80 yar old pensioner who gets a tiny income paid via PayPal and I have no mobile service in my home or garden

I am sorry to be a burden but I need access to my account and PayPal is about to deprive me of that by following an EU directive when my country isn't even in the EU

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bigloaf 

We can only give you the options available, if you don't or can't use them then sadly not a lot we can do about that.

You haven't even said what country you are in so even harder to advise.

But if you are using a mobile phone that was NOT issued in the country you are now living in then it won't work with that countries paypal account.

However you can email paypal.....

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the message or email option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'email' bottom of that page. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

bigloaf
Contributor
Contributor

I am in the UK which is not in the EU

I don't know why I have to comply with PSD2

I have looked at the PayPal pages when logged in and there is no email option

only a message panel that seems only to work sporadically

I suppose after 10 years of great experience I am going to have to give up on PayPal

I have managed to leave a message which will be answered ina FEW HOURS ! I will probably be asleep !

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.