Joint credit card for two users

reh10
Contributor
Contributor

My wife and I each have a Paypal account. We have a joint credit card (I'm the main cardholder and she is an additional cardholder). Obviously we would both like to use our credit card with Paypal but at the moment it prevents us from doing this. What should we do? Is the only solution for me to give my wife the password to my Paypal account so that she can pay with our credit card through my account? Or is even doing that illegal?

Login to Me Too
30 REPLIES 30

MrZippy
New Community Member

Yup, just experienced this, unbelievable.

Capital One won't issue a second card with a different number on.

Frustrating thing is we HAVE (God knows how we achieved that..), had our previous credit card registered on two PayPal accounts just fine.

Now we're sent two cards (same numbers) that we can only use on one PayPal account.

2017.. PayPal account for 16 years.. Same address info on file.. INFURIATING!

Anyway - fun telling the world all this - not like anyone at PayPal will 1) ever read this, or 2) be able to change anything.

Login to Me Too

FlyingMac

Yes, unbelievable that this still hasn't been fixed.  Joint credit card accounts must be really common.  As other people have said, it's difficult to understand why PayPal can't just add a field for "Name on card".

Login to Me Too

desben
I just got my wife a card on my account, and surprise, it won't work with PayPal. This needs to be fixed! Card issuer is MBNA and both cards have the same number.
Login to Me Too

hubris16

Chiming in with my 'me too'. We only have the one credit card. I have to unregister the card from my PayPal to let my wife use it, and vice versa. Ridiculous.

Login to Me Too

andr0373
New Community Member

I have this same problem.  My wife can't register our credit card because we are on a joint account.  Please let us know when this changes. 

Login to Me Too

ph333
New Community Member

It's ridiculous. If the BANK that issued my husband's and my joint credit card will allow both of us to use it at the same time, why won't PayPal?!
My husband and I each have our own businesses, and, therefore, separate credit cards for business and personal transactions, as well as our own individual PayPal accounts. Because he has already linked our joint business-related credit card to his own PayPal account, I can't link it to my PayPal account, so, for me, the option of using PayPal to make a business-related purchase is off the table.
This utterly dumb system makes zero sense and has been going on for too long. PayPal needs to fix it!

Login to Me Too

tadzany
Me too. Attempting to use Paypal for credit card payments, so we can earn reward points on our credit card without paying the credit card surcharge that some businesses charge. Works great! But only for one of the two cardholders! Ridiculous!
Login to Me Too

flowergold
Contributor
Contributor

My husband and I had the same credit card on each of our separate PayPal accounts, but when our card was stolen, we had to update our cards.  Now PayPal won't let us use the same card.  Ridiculous!  We've been doing it for years.  ApplePay lets us use the same card.  So does Amazon and every other retailer out there. PayPal is losing our business. 

Login to Me Too

shiftyphil
New Community Member

Is this still a problem?

The CC I and my partner use has the same number for both of us, is it not possible for her to have a paypal account?

Login to Me Too

oceansider

March 7, 2019 - Just got off of the phone trying to resolve the same problem.  Terrifically annoying.  My spouse and I only use one credit card, and we're not opening another one just to accommodate PayPal's archaic security protocol.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.