Joint credit card for two users

reh10
Contributor
Contributor

My wife and I each have a Paypal account. We have a joint credit card (I'm the main cardholder and she is an additional cardholder). Obviously we would both like to use our credit card with Paypal but at the moment it prevents us from doing this. What should we do? Is the only solution for me to give my wife the password to my Paypal account so that she can pay with our credit card through my account? Or is even doing that illegal?

Login to Me Too
30 REPLIES 30

ericastasio

This is completely unacceptable, and apparently still true in 2017. 

Login to Me Too

arigoldx
New Community Member

I almost couldn't believe that PayPal couldn't share cards (or maybe share accounts) but after seeing the UI fiasco (error validations mainly) of my wife's sign up attempt I think my neurons were primed for craziness.

I'm not an authority on credit cards but can't PayPal just use the NAME plus ID to check for uniqueness? I dig how PayPal wouldn't want the same credit card used twice but given that this number is in circulation with different names attached and, of course, works flawlessly in stores, I'm guessing this is PayPal's bug. Maybe noone added NAME to the uniqueID?

I ain't gonna delete my account quite yet but I will mosdef steer away from PayPal for online payments. 'cmon y'all. Fix this.

Login to Me Too

shottsj

Dear David,

I'd just like to add my voice to those of the others on this thread.
My wife and I have a shared bank account. We both have access and control of that.

We have 2 shared credit card accounts which we manage and use together.

We do not want to have to have a different credit card in place for my wife just so that she can use PayPal. We want all our Paypal payments to use a single credit card in most cases. For my wife to share my PayPal account would be inconvenient and apparently not possible as we each have separate computers and mobile phones. This is very unsatisfactory and inconvenient. Obviously another solution would be the provision of an option to have one PayPal account with 2 or more users. But in the meantime it is hard to understand why there is any particular security issue relating to the authorised use of a shared credit card on 2 separate PayPal accounts.

It really is a very surprising limitation on what is otherwise a very convenient and 'people friendly' facility. I've been trying to get my wife to use PayPal for ages, and now she's completely lost interest!!!

Please can you let us know how and when this is going to be addressed.
Kind regards, Jeremy Shotts

Login to Me Too

squeegybug
Contributor
Contributor

Still waiting.

This ridiculous mess is apparently never going to be fixed by Paypal.

All our credit & debit cards are joint accounts.

Every other vendor in the world we do business with has no problem at all accepting these joint cards -- except Paypal.

A financial institution that cannot figure out simple finances.

Can't imagine the amount of money this costs them.

But I know the aggravation it causes their customers.  Appears to not be a big concern, thanks Paypal.

Login to Me Too

Minimaluse
New Community Member
So .... I set up a PayPal account using my wife's and my joint (same number) credit card in order to buy something several years ago. I still use the account occasionally, but my wife does the vast majority of our purchasing and can't/won't use PayPal even with my password because the payments then appear to sellers to have come from me, and I get the email confirmations. She uses our credit card directly and avoids sites that accept only PayPal. PayPay appears unconcerned about this odd design feature, but other readers might care.
Login to Me Too

rhondalea
Contributor
Contributor

+1 on the nuisance factor.

I understand the security problem inherent in allowing two accounts to use the same card number, but it can be solved by having an account holder give permission for the card to be used by the second card holder. 

Is that so hard, PayPal?

Login to Me Too

dome
New Community Member

Hi, same here.  Ridiculous. It's only accelerating PayPal obsolescence.

Login to Me Too

duffy79
Contributor
Contributor

Just ran into this problem today. Unbelievable that it's still a problem since 2012!

Login to Me Too

Jinkzu
New Community Member

Just got off the phone with support and couldn't work out what the issue was with adding my card.

Looks like this is the issue. PayPal will not allow the same card number to be added to different accounts even though they are legitimate joint credit cards (same number, different name).

This is very frustrating and the lady on the phone said she had never seen different names on the same number which is bizzare as that is what a a joint credit card is......

Please fix this!!

Login to Me Too

ericastasio

Just to let you all know, in August 2017 this is STILL an issue and completely unacceptable. My husband and I are PayPal users for 7 years and over the age of 30, so we have our accounts linked to NUMEROUS pages and websites. Now that we are married and have a joint checking account, I will now have to use my husband's log-in information in order for us to pull from that account to use PayPal? Get a clue PayPal!! You are not helpful.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.