Joint credit card for two users

reh10
Contributor
Contributor

My wife and I each have a Paypal account. We have a joint credit card (I'm the main cardholder and she is an additional cardholder). Obviously we would both like to use our credit card with Paypal but at the moment it prevents us from doing this. What should we do? Is the only solution for me to give my wife the password to my Paypal account so that she can pay with our credit card through my account? Or is even doing that illegal?

Login to Me Too
30 REPLIES 30

reh10
Contributor
Contributor

Any comments? Is there absolutely no way for a couple with a joint credit card to both use it on Paypal?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi there Reh10,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this.

At the moment, it's not possible to register the same card on more then one PayPal account at a time. Do you and your wife have two different card numbers or are both numbers on the cards the same? 

If the card numbers are the same on both cards, you won't be able to have both cards active on each account at the same time. You could then give your wife your password if you wish so that she can purchase items through your account using the same card if you wish. As long as you both use the same computer, it should be completly fine.

I hope this helps,

David.

Login to Me Too

reh10
Contributor
Contributor

The card numbers are the same on both cards (though the names are different, obviously - hers has her name and mine has mine). In fact the two cards are identical except for the names. So it looks like I have to give my wife my password as you suggest, even though that's specifically prohibited by the Paypal User Agreement (condition II.10: "Passwords. You may not reveal your account password(s) to anyone else, nor may you use anyone else's password.").

Thanks for your reply. Am I right in thinking that this prohibition is a recent PayPal change?

Login to Me Too

AdamHP
Contributor
Contributor

When you say "at the moment," does that mean you are working on fixing this horrible state of affairs? Because currently, when vendors only accept paypal, I have to tell them

"I tried to buy XXXXX from your site, but because you use paypal I am not able to.  (My wife and I share an account # and Paypal won't let both of us use it.  Is there any other way I can pay?  Money order?  Google Checkout? Cash in a brown envelope?"

Please fix this.  And Reh10 - this problem has been around for at least a year.

Login to Me Too

jarradleslie
New Community Member

This is still a major problem for my wife and I, and doesn't appear to have been fixed by PAYPAL.

It is completely unneccessay to block the the same credit card from being linked to 2 accounts when the financial institution issuing the card does not impose the same restrictions, nor any other retailer in this country.

It is hugely frustrating and I avoid buying anything that requires payment with PAYPAL.  Change your system.....

Login to Me Too

Teppic
New Community Member

This has been a problem for my wife and I ever since using Paypal (5+ years).  We have a single joint credit card with the same number.  Basically it means she has never been able to verify her account and her payments take longer to clear, even though she has verified her bank account.  Huh, why is this the case?!?  Anyway, it amounts to her asking me to buy things on her behalf if she wants the payments to clear quickly.  This is super annoying.  Unbelievable that it hasn't been fixed in all this time!

Login to Me Too

Long_weekend
New Community Member
Spoiler

I find this really annoying too, for the same reasons as above. I am currently waiting 5 days to pay $5 by e-cheque because I can't add my shared credit card.

I'm not sure I can use Paypal again as I think it will lead to less favourable feedback from ebay sellers when my payments take so long to be made.

Login to Me Too

Jpw007123xxx
New Community Member
Just having this problem with new versions of joint account card that used to be absolutely fine. Either the old cards had different numbers (doubtful?) or this is a recent change. Every other online platform we use has no problem with this - the name and security numbers are different.
Login to Me Too

NearTheSea
New Community Member

My wife discovered this problem today. We carry our credit cards jointly, it is not an acceptable solution to share a single Paypal account - as noted above, this is not allowed under your terms. And there are other problems - nothing like sharing a single account at the holidays ("just ignore that email with your present, honey"). 

Please fix this!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.