Issue Changing My Name

shrimp_thrifts
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all.

When I began my Paypal account I was receiving payments for goods I was selling through a social media account of mine with a large following. Due to my following, I didn't want anyone to be able to know my full name. I wanted to make sure my identity was secure. The account name I signed up for Paypal under was my first name and the last name being the handle of the social media account. This was before I knew that creating a business account would successfully protect my identity.

I now know that I need to change my account name to my proper name so I can properly update my tax information. I have already submitted proof of identification but got response that I needed an official name change document to finish the update. As I am not changing my name, but rather correcting it, I am not sure what to do (if anything) in this situation.

I've been receiving the same responses from all of the automated customer support so I wanted to see if anyone from the support team could give me my options (if I have any) or any guidance.

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @shrimp_thrifts,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community forum! 

As PayPal is a financial institution, we would require our customers to create their accounts with their real information. If your account was created under a fictitious name and you do not have a registered Business in your Country, we may not be able to change the name on the account. For personal accounts or for business accounts related to individual sellers, the name change process is only possible in case of a small typo (up to 3 letters), in case of a legal name change or if the account was created under a common nickname (Bob for Robert for example). In any other case, the name change would not be possible, I am afraid. 

In this case, I would recommend registering a new account with a different email address. 

I hope this helps!

Martina 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @shrimp_thrifts,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community forum! 

As PayPal is a financial institution, we would require our customers to create their accounts with their real information. If your account was created under a fictitious name and you do not have a registered Business in your Country, we may not be able to change the name on the account. For personal accounts or for business accounts related to individual sellers, the name change process is only possible in case of a small typo (up to 3 letters), in case of a legal name change or if the account was created under a common nickname (Bob for Robert for example). In any other case, the name change would not be possible, I am afraid. 

In this case, I would recommend registering a new account with a different email address. 

I hope this helps!

Martina 

Login to Me Too

shrimp_thrifts
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you so much! Appreciate the assistance.
Login to Me Too

princebalbasin
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for the respond miss. But how can i get my money out of my paypal account? Is it still possible to link it in my bank account even though some of my first name are missing?
Login to Me Too

princebalbasin
Contributor
Contributor
Is it possible to link my bank account to my paypal account when my name in my paypal account lack some of my first name? If not, is their other ways where i can get my money out of my paypal account and ill just make a new one?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @princebalbasin,

Thank you for your post! It is likely that the bank would not be able to be linked, and if the link was successful, it would likely present problems with withdrawal. The name on the PayPal account should match exactly with the information on the bank account.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Richter1020
Contributor
Contributor
I created my paypal with my first and last name but didnt my suffix Jr. so know the CS telling thet are having trouble about it ...come one plss. they put my funds on hold with this upcoming important holidays..
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.