Invalid phone number

KevTR
New Community Member

My phone number on Paypal is causing a problem for me. I live outside the UK most of the time - so I want to use my Malawian mobile number for Paypal to contact me etc. But on the Settings page, it won't let me enter this number - it says it's invalid. This is the only phone number I use for most of the year, so I need to make this my primary phone number.
Is there a way round this problem?
Thanks

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

Temp20220124n
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, did you ever get a solution for this? I have the same issue by trying to add a US number, +1 or 001 do not work

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @KevTR and @Temp20220124n,

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulty that you're having adding phone numbers to your accounts. The number added to an account must be from the same country that the account is registered in. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Jerrett75
New Community Member
I am in the same country, and I have my phone number on my account, and I can log in using it. When I go to the transfer money page, I come to the quick security check page, and it asks for my number for PayPal to either Text or call. When I enter my number, it says that this type of number is not supported. It's an AT&T phone, on a contract, so why is it not supported?
Login to Me Too

Henny3x
New Community Member
Im having this same exact issue
Login to Me Too

Temp20220124n
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for the answer that causes a new question: I live 8 month in the US and 4 in Germany, does this force me to create 2 accounts? or force me to pay for roaming calls to the US? it is so easy to use 2 cell phones, one german and one US, in these days of data processing unlimited, why is it not possible to have 2 or more phones in different countries?

regards giorgio

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Temp20220124n,

That's a great question. You have a couple of options. You could make an account in the country that you spend more time in, and only keep the contact information connected to that country's residence. The other option is if you keep residence in both countries and don't spend more than a year at a time in one of the countries, you could have two separate accounts and use each during the time spent in that country. 

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Cindyescauso12
New Community Member
Me to I can't
Login to Me Too

aer911
New Community Member

Spanish number also causes issues. Locked me out of the account, had 2-factor on with the app instead. Demanded a number to send the message to.

Tried to respond to this, more things to sign up to. Then couldn't read the forum without signing in (could've deleted the cookie). Atrocious UX from such a massive company.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KevTR 

Paypal is country specific so if you have to open a paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.