I'm American, but I live outside the US

VinceAggrippino
Contributor
Contributor

I was born in Florida and grew up mostly in New York. In 2003, I moved to Malaysia, but my bank and all my financials are still in the US. How can I use PayPal?

PayPal Support on Twitter just told me that I have to add a phone number to my account for the country I'm currently living in, but PayPal doesn't allow that.

This isn't the first time I've dealt with this problem. Last time, PayPal instructed me to create a Malaysian PayPal account. I did that, but I can't really use it because I can't connect an American bank account to a Malaysian PayPal account.

My workaround has been to use my Mom's mobile number for 2nd factor authentication and, when it's necessary, I get on the phone with her and ask her to read the number from the SMS back to me. It's not a solution and doesn't really work when our time zones are 12 hours apart.

The ideal solution would be to add an international mobile number to my American bank account. The website doesn't allow that, but I wonder if it's possible if I get through to the right customer support rep.

It just doesn't seem right that PayPal doesn't support this scenario when remote work and living anywhere in the world is a lifestyle that's steadily growing.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.