I live in Canada but have a PayPal account in the US.

stickk777777
Contributor
Contributor

I live in Canada but have a PayPal account in the US.

I have been receiving a message on PayPal saying

Because you receive payment for goods or services through PayPal, you must verify your U.S. taxpayer status to avoid limitations to your account.

I remember sending  a WBEN8 form but never  them asking for my Social Security Number which I do not have of course.
Just wondering what the best thing to
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@stickk777777 

Paypal is country specific so you have to open a paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You are supposed to withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts before you leave your old country. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

The only exception is you can add a U.S bank account to your countries paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

stickk777777
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is I sell in the US and for example USPS does accept payments from Canadian PayPal.

I have had this US account for years and as I said they ask for a WBEN8 form for people outside the country

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@stickk777777 

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/can-i-change-my-paypal-address-to-another-country-faq143...

You are not supposed to use another countries paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.