I have an EIN. How do I remove my SSN?

fionaharrison
New Community Member

Hello-

Years ago, the farmers market I manage set up a PayPal account to sell market merchandise (shirts, mugs, hats, etc.) and because we didn't have an EIN at that time, I set it up under my personal name and SSN.  Now, years later, we DO have an EIN, and I want to remove my personal SSN from the account.  How do I do that?  

As an aside, because I have my personal name and SSN associated with our market account (a business account), last year I received a 2018 unpaid tax bill from the IRS saying that I had "earned an additional $XYZ in 2018 income but never paid taxes on it so here's your bill" when in reality I never touched any of that money or ever had that money in my personal bank account.  I got that all straightened out with the IRS and my accountant.  Fast forward to yesterday, and I just get the exact same letter from the IRS, claiming that I had additional income from 2019 that I had not paid taxes on.  Again, the money never  touched my hands or my bank account.

All of that to say...........I NEED TO GET MY SSN OFF THIS ACCOUNT!  Please help!  I'm trying to make sure this is ALL straightened out and clear so I don't get another bill in 2021, for unclaimed income in 2020!   THANK YOU!!!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fionaharrison 

You can add a EIN in the Account Owner info section of the Account Settings but I don't know if they'll let you remove (but can certainly update) the SSN as they'll ask/need it for identity verification purposes if not for taxes.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.