I am not a US citizen but PayPal thinks i am and demands SSN to receive money

AsterW12
New Community Member
Hello, I'm an international student currently studying in the US. I linked my international Credit card issued in China to my paypal account. I was able to pay People via PayPal with this Chinese bank card. However when someone (my US citizen friend) sent me money, PayPal asks me to set up an PayPal cash account, which demands American SSN. I don't have a SSN and I'm not even a US citizen! This is ridiculous. I was able to pay my US friend and a friend in Brazil with my Chinese credit card. Is there a way for me to set up cash account with Chinese ID? There was another option to send this money to a bank account. However they seem to only let me tranafer to American bank accounts which im unwilling to open one because it's too much trouble.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AsterW12 

Then don't accept the money and you do not have a US bank account to link to the PayPal account to withdraw directly to so the decision is made for you.

This is a relatively new policy for US personal PayPal accounts since April 1 2019.  Its fine if you are paying with card or bank account to make purchase and withdrawing direct to US bank account or maybe to associated debit card but using the PayPal balance without it being a PayPal Cash/Cash Plus account to hold funds/send/receive is not permitted.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AsterW12 

Then don't accept the money and you do not have a US bank account to link to the PayPal account to withdraw directly to so the decision is made for you.

This is a relatively new policy for US personal PayPal accounts since April 1 2019.  Its fine if you are paying with card or bank account to make purchase and withdrawing direct to US bank account or maybe to associated debit card but using the PayPal balance without it being a PayPal Cash/Cash Plus account to hold funds/send/receive is not permitted.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Gana1804
Contributor
Contributor
I have a paypal account and I would like to have the possibility of using the money that I have on these account and of my apartment I find this story of being an American citizen to be able to have access with your own money which can to be a payment or a gift from the family or a friend I am informed that you are an American company but these that I would like to know your app is only for the American you ask us to identify us with government documents we do it and now what is wrong with foreign parts nod and you know that it's not just the american ones that are useful for your app you should rethink your policy
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.