I am getting FaceBook Messenger for Someone Else's account

SunnyD3
Contributor
Contributor

I tried talking with customer service at PayPal, and they would not help. They blamed FaceBook! I am getting PayPal purchases notices through messenger for my HUSBAND's Paypal (not my Paypal). No, we don't have the same email, and we don't use the same user name.  It is very frustrating NOT to get notified for my account and my purchase but always see his...  Can someone help disconnect our accounts and help me with NOT getting PayPal notices through FaceBook Messenger for his Paypal?  

Sunny <removed>

2:14 PM

You are sending me the receipt from an old account that is no longer linked to mine, and you're not sending me receipts from my account you need to unlink <removed> because it's sending PayPal receipt to my Messenger account

Sunny <removed>

2:14 PM

Your file has been uploaded.

<removed>

You are sending me my husband's PAYPAL DATA to my Facebook. 

And yet your automated system is sending me receipts from yahoo.com

That is my husband's account and why is Facebook Messenger sending me his receipts?

There is a glitch

We need a tech to fix this

His receipts should go to his FB Messenger...not mine

You are now connected to John <removed>

John <removed>

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to PayPal. My name is Carlo. Please give me a few minutes to quickly go through the conversation to understand your concern. Is removing your bank is what you mean? Let me send you on how to remove a bank from you PayPal account. how to remove a bank from your PayPal account:

1. Click Wallet at the top of the page.

2. Click the bank you want to remove.

3. Click Remove Bank.

Sunny <removed>

11:29 AM

Hi, this is NOT about a BANK.

This is about the fact that YOU, PAYPAL, are sending me FACEBOOK MESSENGER MESSAGES FROM SOMEONE ELSE'S ACCOUNT.

I sent you a screenshot.

Please pay attention.

Anthony <removed> account is SOMEHOW (I Don't know how you guys did it) linked it to my account (my Facebook account). When he buys things I see the receipts. I sent you a message very clearly about this.

You need to look at that image closer.

John <removed>

12:00 PM

Hi.  We only send notifications via email and SMS. Those messages are fake. 

Sunny <removed>

12:45 PM

John, that is inaccurate

You do not know what you are talking about. Is there a manager I can talk to.

Those messages were accurate. I can log into my husband PayPal account because we share this information with each other and those charges were posted on his account and should have never been sent to me via Facebook Messenger please transfer me to your manager because I don't think you understand how your system work

John <removed>

12:56 PM

Hi. Let me check on that. Hi Sunny. Kindly login to the PayPal account that is linked to this email yahoo.com and changes it to the one that you are using and remove the old email. Money is sent through PayPal using your confirmed email address. You can change your email address but first, you'll need to add and confirm your new email address. 

Sunny <removed>

2:25 PM

He says my email IS NOT on his PayPal. That is why we believe you need to escalate this ticket.

My email: gmail.com IS not the same as yahoo.com

He claims MY email IS NOT on his account.

That is WHY I am complaining. My FACEBOOK Messenger should NOT be getting his PAYPAL notices. I have them turned on for me. Here is a screenshot.

Sunny <removed>

2:28 PM

He has his own PayPal. I had to open up a new PayPal for me. 

John <removed>

2:31 PM

Hi Sunny. So contact facebook regarding your issue.

Your file has been uploaded.

Sunny <removed>

2:32 PM

This is NOT a facebook issue. This is a Paypal issue. They have linked messenger with PAYPAL and they are now sending paypal info via FB.

Facebook is not sending this. Paypal is sending this via messenger.

PAYPAL is initiating it.

John <removed>

2:34 PM

Then try to contact the person who claims the old account to change it on his/her end and remove that old account. 

Sunny <removed>

2:34 PM

Paypal is the one sending the information. We have done that. It does not work.

This is TIER two support issue.

Facebook is NOT sending me messages about Paypal. Paypal is sending me messages from SOMEONE else's account. This is a privacy violation on Paypals part using messenger.

Paypal should CARE that they are sending account messages from the WRONG/DIFFERENT ACCOUNT.

My account is NOT linked to my husbands.

His account is linked to mine.

John <removed>

2:38 PM

Sunny as much as I want to help you the only resolution to this is to contact facebook and tell them about this issue. You are right about PayPal is initiating it's because PayPal is the who process the transaction and the email which is linked to that transaction is also linked to facebook messenger. Sunny your need to contact facebook about this since someone is owning the old email address that is linked to your PayPal account.  It looks like you stepped away from our conversation. That's ok! When you reply we'll connect your message to the next available Customer Support team member if the previous Team Member is not available. 

Sunny <removed>

2:43 PM

I understand you are unwilling to file a complaint with your Tech Team about incorrect and inappropriate linkage by PayPal.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

PayPal_JonK

Hello @SunnyD3,

I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience reaching out to our Customer Support for help. There are two ways that your PayPal account may be linked to Facebook, through a billing agreement, or through receipt notifications. You can unlink your account at any time by cancelling your billing agreement, or turning off your receipt notifications.

I hope that helps. Stay safe, stay awesome. 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

SunnyD3
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, when I click on your links it says those pages don't exist.  https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/faq3488

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hmm, that's interesting. Sorry about that!! Here's the information on how how to turn off those receipt notifications:

1. Go to your Settings.
  2. Click Notifications.
  3. Next to Messenger, check or uncheck the box.

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

SunnyD3
Contributor
Contributor

Sadly, neither of those were active for me.  As I tried to tell John, is it NOT my account that has these active. He refused to help. My husband's account does not have these active either.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Well that's no good, I'm sorry this has been such a hassle. Here's another Community Forums Post that may be able to give a bit more detailed assistance. 

- Jon K

Login to Me Too

SunnyD3
Contributor
Contributor

Hi John, I appreciate your trying to help. Since I do have my husband's login. I went and deactivated these features on his account since it is HIS account that seems to be improperly linked to my Facebook messenger... I will look at the other forum. 

It seems like he won't be able to get any messages with Facebook because they will try and send them to me.  I think the trouble began years ago when he and I tried to use ONE Paypal, and when I would call to handle things Paypal refused to talk to me even though it was My email, and My business, and My Facebook, and  I was authorized a number of times, and now that the account was linked wrong it makes me think he may even have to close it and reopen it to get it to work correctly. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

@SunnyD3,

Sorry for the confusion there. Yes, you got it! If you're receiving your husband's PayPal receipts / notifications on your Facebook, the link that would need to be un-linked would be on his PayPal account under his login info. If your husband would like to have his receipts / notifications on his Facebook Messenger, he can follow these steps:

1. Make a payment using your PayPal account.
  2. Immediately after completing the payment, within the confirmation screen, under “Get your PayPal receipts in Messenger,” click Send to Messenger.
  3. In the popup window, sign in to your Facebook account (just make sure you're signed into the right profile 😉 ).
  4. You should now see your Facebook name under the “Send to Messenger” button.

Either way, thanks again for your patience. I hope that solves it and I hope you have a great rest of your weekend!!

- Jon K

Login to Me Too

SunnyD3
Contributor
Contributor

They problem is that whenever he trys to get it to work under his Paypal, it sends it to ME at my FaceBook. I think we need IT to un HOOK the incorrect FaceBook Profile because there is NOT a setting for stopping send my Paypal receipts to the wrong darn account! See what I mean?!

We can only stop the notifications, but if he ever activates them again, it will still be incorrectly linked to my facebook and NOT his. That is the problem.

Login to Me Too

SunnyD3
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, the only solution was to turn messenger off ON TWO separate accounts which in my mind does not fix account mismatch.  Because the minute we turn it on with his account, I start getting the messages again in mine. I believe that IT_TECH needs to manually disconnect the Facebook accounts in the software which is clearly something I can not do.  He can not even re-establish the Messenger notifications with his own account! They still come to me if we turn Messenger back on is his account.  BTW he has a personal PayPal and Mine is Business. (Not sure if that matters) but the settings to adjust each are different w/regards to Messenger.  In my mind, completely stopping a feature, and not being able to use it, IS NOT a good solution. 🙄

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.