I accidentally made a business account, and also paypal is the worst

Username45
New Community Member

I was trying to set up a personal account but accidentally st up a business one instead.  When I got to the part where it asked me what kind of business I had I was like "oh crap I messed up" but I couldn't just create a new account because I guess it already counted as an account.  So then I tried to delete the account so I could make a new one.  I had to go through the whole process of making a business account first just so I could open my settings (eye roll).  Eventually, after almost ten minutes of paypal blocking my attempts to delete the account, I was finally able to rid myself of it.  Then I went through the process of making a personal account; I even got the small deposit in my bank account.  But then today, a few days later, I sign into paypal so I can transfer it, and what do you know, it's a freaking business account again!  WTH?!  What do you think I should do?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Username45

1. Go to www.paypal.com and log in to your account.

2. Click Help & Contact near the bottom of any page.

3. Select Contact Us at the bottom of the page.

4. Click Email us.

5. Choose ‘Managing My Account’ in the Topic box, then select ‘Change account type’ in the Subtopic box and lastly select 'Downgrade my account' from the drop-down box.

6. In the Message field please write that you would like to downgrade your account and the reason why. Then, click Submit.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

TB617
New Community Member
I'm not finding these options in the drop down menu. I've gone with "change business name" from *biz name* to N/A & asking to downgrade my account back to personal. I hope it works. Why PayPal has made this so difficult seems a bit odd. Thank you! I did try following your instructions. Gave you a kudos even though the options have changed. You formatted beautifully!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Randy

@Username45,

You won't have the ability to downgrade a business account to personal on your end.  I recommend contacting our customer service teams for further assistance with completing the downgrade.  You can click 'Contact Us' at the bottom of any of our pages to get a phone number to reach us at, or you can contact us on Twitter (https://twitter.com/askpaypal) or Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/PayPal). We would be happy to take a look at what options might be available to you.

- Randy

Login to Me Too

synrg
Contributor
Contributor

Randy, this has been by far the worst user experience of the year for me and my whole family as, by turn, I, and my wife have tried to assist our 18 year old daughter to sort this out. Between us, we've consumed a half hour each trying to sort it out. That's a total cost of 1.5 hrs on an already stressful day, just to receive some gift money from grandparents.

No, my daughter absolutely cannot contact you via Twitter nor Facebook since she has made the wise choice of avoiding the toxic influence of those social media platforms. Why your company would remove this as an option that can be solved via email is beyond comprehension to the three of us. My daughter was already having a fairly bad day, having had to take time off school due to being sick, and this just made it worse. She declined to phone you because she's not in any state to do that after being put through all of this. The stated rules for phoning you say that nobody but the account holder can call you, so I can't help her, either.

Therefore, I'm writing this plea to you for help. Please provide us with a viable option for contacting you to solve this simple goof-up in the account application process. We have run out of options.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.