Husband needs help with name change on account

stmason1400
Contributor
Contributor

So my husband set up a PayPal account from his iPhone last week so that he could receive some money from a friend. Unfortunately, his name is stored as Billy Cell (as in cell phone) in his phone and this is how his name populated when he set up the PayPal account. I don't know how he did not catch it, but it is what it is. However, his name has to match his legal name on our bank account. He has tried uploading documents several times but he continues to get emails saying Congratulations on getting married - please upload your marriage certificate. He simply made a mistake and now can't seem to get it corrected. He has called several times but keeps getting someone who has very limited English and he is told over and over again to upload his documents. Meanwhile, the money is sitting out there somewhere and PayPal keeps notifying him that he needs to finish setting up his account. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@stmason1400 

If the account features are not locked up, due to this name change thing, I still say refund the money from within the transaction to your friend.

Remove any financial information, close the account and open a new PayPal account with correct name. If it doesn't let you close it, open a new account with correct name but using a different email address.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@stmason1400 

Why use the married name change option, and not the nick name change option.  Tbh, refund the money to friend within the transaction details, remove bank/cards and close this account and open a new one with correct name if at all possible and then have friend send money again to new account.

Login to Me Too

stmason1400
Contributor
Contributor

We didn't use the married name change option, that's just what PayPal came back to us with. And we have tried multiple times uploading the documents on the nickname section, but we keep getting error messages. The guy on the phone gave him a URL address that he said would take him to an email where he could send the documents, but it just takes him to PayPal's main page. It's all just screwy and an exercise in frustration. 

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@stmason1400 

If the account features are not locked up, due to this name change thing, I still say refund the money from within the transaction to your friend.

Remove any financial information, close the account and open a new PayPal account with correct name. If it doesn't let you close it, open a new account with correct name but using a different email address.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.