Major security flaw - the system keeps re-enabling auto login even after I keep turning it off

j_a_s
Contributor
Contributor

I've been dealing with customer support all day over this issue and they say they can do nothing but I want to raise it here as well since it's a major security flaw. Paypal is a financial site and therefore security controls should be very strong. I always log out whenever I complete a transaction and I never click the "stay logged in" button that's always presented. Now, every time I log in, I get an email saying "We've made it easier for you to check out with PayPal. Since we recognize this device, we'll automatically log you in so you can skip typing your password at checkout! ... If this is a shared device, or you don't want us to automatically log you in, we recommend that you turn this feature off." I go in and manually turn the feature off. Then the next time I log in to make a transaction, I get the same email again, the feature is re-enabled again, and I have to go in to manually turn it off again. This is totally unacceptable. I'm the only one who should be able to determine if my device is trusted and and if I want to enable auto login. I was told that there's nothing they can do and that I'll simply have to manually disable the feature every time. This is a major security flaw and it's a big deal. I was told that my concern has been escalated but I'm posting this here in the hopes of raising the visibility of this issue. Thanks. 

Login to Me Too
116 REPLIES 116

Sjerabek56
Contributor
Contributor

How would I permanently disable auto login

Login to Me Too

Lostafabric2019
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem!  I turn the Auto Login "OFF" - But the very next time I use my account PayPal turns the feature back on!  I want it permanently disables - always and forever disabled!

Login to Me Too

shaunaSCA
New Community Member

Me too EVERY beep beeping time!

Login to Me Too

bidigit
Contributor
Contributor

So rude and dangerous for Paypal to persist. NINE TIMES I've turned it off, they just keep turning it on! "I feel your pain," lol.  Arrrgh!

Login to Me Too

hopefullycos
Contributor
Contributor

Same here! I NEVER want my money accessible without a password, so it's infuriating to have autologin auto-turned-on every single time I use PayPal!

Login to Me Too

rayray91
New Community Member

Customer service said you have to disable the auto login on your computer and mobile, but I did that and it still turns on when I use Safari. At least I get an email with the link to turn it off again, but it's such a pain

Login to Me Too

bidigit
Contributor
Contributor

It's nice that they offer the auto-login, I'm just more comfortable signing in. Has anyone figured it out yet? 🙂

Login to Me Too

fjkdsaljdsak
New Community Member

Agreed - Paypal, quit your weird shenanigans and let us turn this feature off. Maybe they get paid by their customers because it drives more sales? Important to note here, we are NOT the customer, we are the product.

Login to Me Too

Haly2003
Contributor
Contributor
I am so tired of PayPal saying it recognises my device so it decides to keep me logged in. I disable auto-login and low and behold it does it again and again and again. It is not secure! How do we tell them to stop?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.